Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a car with rust in a traditional area, on the quarter panel where the wheel well meets the outer skin, at the top of the wheel opening (common on half-tons).
I would like to "fix", clean up that area, clean the rust, fill the gap (less than an inch wide), prime and paint.
I wonder what to use to fill that gap, long strand epoxy, or long strand "regular" polyester putty?
I have read that epoxy sticks better and is harder: I like the stick harder, but is harder better?
Is there also a problem to use epoxy and polyester products on top of each other?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Short strand, or long strand fiberglass filler. Dynaglass, Kitty Hair, Fiberfill, etc...
This is not going to be a permanent fix as mentioned before.

Tap down areas around hole. Tap it with a hammer. The low spot must extend past the hole. Grind with 24 grit, and start filling.
Pack with your choice of material. I have found screen, shoes, socks, paper plates, etc in these type of repairs.
The further out you go with the "glass" the longer the repair will last...
Do it right, you can get 5+ years out of it. Do it not so right, you will see it come back around the edges of the hole in a year.
You are better off making sure the back side stays dry. Undercoat will help here.

This is not a proper repair, but it is what you seem to want at this moment. Its your car though, so have at it!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I know this is not serious/pro work, but this is it. I cannot weld, and this is hard to reach to learn! I have had good result (over 10 years clean) with fiberglass on a car body, so I am not worried here. No patch panels available either...
I am thinking the gap is not big enough, and the area is hard enough to reach, that I did not need to use glass fiber and resin in this spot, but instead simply reinforced putty.
My main question was about the use of reinforced epoxy filler instead of the "regular", more common, reinforced polyester filler: any thoughts on that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts