Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my question can i get a chevy big block into any mustang or from only 67 and newer will the big block fit. I am asking because i want to c if i can get a chevy big block into a 65 mustang.

Mike

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I don't know if the SBC would be a shoo-in or not. It's wider than the 289, but shorter. I'm thinkin' there might be some exhaust manifold or header interference with the shock towers. Do a google search for this swap and see what info you can find.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Shock towers will for sure have to go . With out the towers there should be plenty of room . You'll have to put a Rack and pinion system in and custom your headers in it im sure. They have been placing the 4.6 out of mustangs in 65's and there a wide engine . Its going to take some work but you wont find much on a chevy in one .

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
In the 65-6 Mustang a 351W will just barely go. 67-8 are a tight fit for the FE. 69-70 are wider yet, but still tight. 71-73 land yachts are Torino size cars.

Anything wider you need to trim the shock towers, see Crites kit (T-Bolt, Boss 429), or go to a complete Mustang II front end and eliminate the shock towers completely.

Personally, I will never do another early Mustang or Fairlane without cutting the towers Crites style.

The weight of a big block set up completely destroys a Mustang handling and weight distribution, as well as the fact that major structural modifications are mandatory to stand the weight and torque. You are basicly going to restructure the entire chassis bumper to bumper on anything older than 69. Even the last ones need subframe connectors and lots of structural welding for rigidity. The factory big block cars were pretty flexible and needed help when new.

·
Registered
128 Posts
what size engine will fit in mustang's

Yeah I gotta go with Xntrik on this one .
Chevy in a Ford ????
Why ?
As in WHY ! WHY! WHY! Arghhhhhh !

That doesnt look anything like a Dead Horse !
A closer look , and Im pretty sure that's my Cousin Jethro ? :D

Sean

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
Had a good friend that had a 426 Hemi in a 64 Falcon. Custom tube frame, coil struts, rack and pinion. Anything can be done if ya got enough money and time.

Had a LS6 454 in a 66 nova, cut the towers. A lot of work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
as others have said a mustang II front clip would be needed in an early car. putting a chevy motor in a ford is fine by me. i race a chevy with an olds motor. at my track theres a 64 falcon with a 454 chevy. theres 2 fox body mustangs with small chevies. another bud of mine has a 69 mustang on an s-10 frame with a chevy motor. its your car, do whatever you want with it. if you want a 454 in it, its alot of work, but it'll be cool when done. if you are concerned about weight bias and handling, just move the motor back a smidge. this will require a few firewall mods but like i said its gonna require some work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.