86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size do I need?

Looking in JEGs, I see the following:

SB Chevy Round 1.5
SBC Square 1.45 X 1.48
SBC Round 1.63
SBC Square 1.45 x 1.55

This is running tubular headers, which are round.
But the head - are those openings considered round or square?

The gasket that I took off the car seems kinds square with rounded corners.

Also, what's the best type of gasket to use?

The one that was on it was a fairly new one, looks like some kind of a metal core surrounded by almost a paperlike material. That material didn't hold up very well, also had a hard time keeping the header bolts tight.

I'm thinking of using the emobsoed solid copper gaskets. Any good? There's also a Fel-Pro "3 layer non-stick." Any good?

Here's a pic of the head, you can see the outline of the exhaust port shape.

·
likes chevy trucks & boobies
1,971 Posts
i always use exhaust manifold gaskets for my headers

but some ppl are wierd and like to have burn out problems with header gskets or like to spend alot of money for copper ones and other junk

those look square to me, i think, lol

good luck

·
Registered
265 Posts
I always use the ones that match the port of the headers I'm using. The copper ones I have used worked well. Everybody that I've known that blew out gaskets on a regular basis had cheaper headers with thinner flanges. I never had that problem with Hooker Super Comps or Hedman Huslers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
what are you using for wire management on there exactly? i really love the way that looks. whats that black clamp holding the front 3 wires?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
You can do a quick measurement to get the exact dimensions. I have had better luck with copper gaskets than any others and I always port match the gaskets. In the case of round headers and square heads, let your better sense be your guide. Port matching the round header openings make more sense since you will have more gasket material mated to the header flange. I personally would not put the round headers on the square heads unless it did not block any of the head opening.

Trees

1 - 5 of 5 Posts