Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Greetings

Im slapping a 350 together with “gently used, low mile” parts taken from previous builds or items sitting on the shelf. One of these is a comp cam 262/270 duration and 462/.480 lift. I am matching this up with a set of vortec heads. I realize there is a lot of controversy on just how much lift stock vortecs can handle and don’t want to start another thread on that subject…so after researching I found this sight http://www.2quicknovas.com/vortecheads.html and figured one of the mods to do will replace the stock valve stem locks (keepers) with +.050 keepers. After looking in the usual mail order mags I came across some but am unsure if I am to use 11/32 or 3/8 keepers. I was hoping someone could either tell me what size I need or tell me how/where I am to measure (Im guessing the grooved part where the keepers lock into the valve stem is where I measure this?)

This build is pretty much something to keep me busy on the weekends so I don’t really want to buy a new cam to make it work when a bit of labor on my part will also make it work..

Thanks again - Pete

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why not use the stock keepers? because from what I understand the +.050 keepers will allow a bit more lift with the cam I plan on using

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
You can run the Comp CAms Beehive Springs/retainers and run .550" of lift on stock unmachined Vortec heads. Springs are 26015 or 26918 and retainers for the GEn 1E smallblock are 787-16.

OR you can save some money by getting some LS1 or LS6 valvesprings and use the Comp retainers.

Also the 062 and 906 heads are the same. You dont need to avoid the 906's. The magazine that printed that info about the 906's flowing less printed a retraction.

peace
Hogg

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Hogg said:
You can run the Comp CAms Beehive Springs/retainers and run .550" of lift on stock unmachined Vortec heads.

peace
Hogg
Is there any documentation supporting that?? Everything that I find says .500 even with unbrella seals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts