Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a Finishline III gun with a 1.5 and 1.8 tip, and a GFG-670+ gun with 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 tips. For shooting door jambs in either base/clear or single stage urethane should I get the 1.0 tip for the 670+ (i.e. that is the smallest tip they make for that gun, and the smallest tip for the Finishline III is a 1.3) or would the 1.2 be nearly the same? I know some folks use detail guns for these areas, but I just assume not buy yet another gun (heck, I'm new and haven't used any of these yet!). Beyond the physical size of the gun/paint canister is there any difference between a "detail" gun with a 1.0 tip, and a full size gun with a 1.0 tip?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
When you're shooting automotive paints through a gravity feed full sized gun you'll usually need a fluid tip in the 1.3 to 1.5 range. The smaller guns use a smaller tip to pass lower viscosity paints and also to match the amount of air designed to flow through the gun. It's really an air to fluid ratio thing. You'll be fine using a 1.3 or 1.4 and adjusting the gun to match the size of the area being sprayed. No need for a touchup gun when doing jambs unless the extra mobility is needed.

If you were to use a 1.0 tip in a full sized gun the air will need to be choked down to match the amount of fluid being delivered, if the fluid tip is so small that the design of the gun won't permit an air setting to match then the combination will not work. The orifices drilled into the aircap are designed to work within a certain range of air volume and pressure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts