Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a surplus store today after work to see if they had any brake line. They do. It is cheaper than buying it from a major store chain. My question is: What size?? :confused: I found 3/16", 5/16", and 1/4".. He showed me a whole box of fittings for the different kinds like Metric, and SAE. He also has sizes from 4"- 48" in the three sizes.. I know that the caliper is Mustang II. The rear axle is a Ford, but that is about all I can tell. Should I measure everything?? Thanks..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to get the ones that are already made, and bend them into shape. I was told to use coathangers. I have 14 gauge wire. I am to start at one of the brakes and bend the wire to where it comes to a "T" or valve and cut it off. i then can straighten it out and I will know what length to get. I can then redo it, and mark down where I got it from and use it as a template for my brake line.
Now I am reading in the book that was put out by Street Rodder on how to build a 35-40 Ford Street Rod. In there, and in others it says because the master clyinder is on the frame I will need valves. My reservoir is remote, which i plan to mount on the firewall. Would I still have to put in all of those valves?? It calls for a 2lb in the front, and 10lbs for the rear in a Disc/Drum brake system. There is also a proportioning valve in there. Do I need all of those valves?? Thanks..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have some stuff that came with the car.. There might be that valve there, but i am not sure. One is flat, and has four lines comming from it. There is also a wire comming from the center.
Other wise. Do you know of a place where I might be able to buy them with out it costing me an arm and leg??

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also.. Those clips that hold the brake lines to the frame.. Can I use those white plastic ones that are used to hold phone wire to the wall?? I could replace the screw for a sheet metal screw..

·
Registered
6 Posts
brake line sizes

the rsidual pressure valves make it so u hav brakes when u need em and dont hav to pump em up ever drive an old vw bug? kinda scary if u hav to pump pedal 3 times t get brakes happenin in a panic stoppedschool bus for example the proportion valve keeps the bak tires from locking up when the weight lifts off them from centrifigal force try driving on a slippery parking lot then pull ebrake of a frnt wheel drive and see what happens. ive heard of guys gutting a facory prop valve to keep the t and the idiot light sending unit then installing an adjustable prop valve in series to get proporting just right get a good book on brakes and ensure u understand it ur but is dependin on it hey so is mine commin other way oops a litlle preachy sorry

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then where is a good place to buy them?? Would Speedway Motors be a good place??

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
APalusky said:
Then where is a good place to buy them?? Would Speedway Motors be a good place??
Speedway motors has them, they now have there own brand, comes in speedway purple or silver. there $11.99 each I belive. the Willwood 1's are $17.95 Each.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I get $5.00 off because I bought the upper, and lower control arm package. I got all 4 of them loaded for under $250.

how will I know where to turn that valve?? Also will those plastic clips work?? Or should I buy those from Speedway also..

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
APalusky said:
I think I get $5.00 off because I bought the upper, and lower control arm package. I got all 4 of them loaded for under $250.

how will I know where to turn that valve?? Also will those plastic clips work?? Or should I buy those from Speedway also..
valves go no more than 24" from the master cyl and use 1/8" fittings. don't use the plastic clips, you can get clips that will work better from Napa. plastic will break down over time

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what size do you recomend for brake lines?? Also. Would gas line be the same as the 3/8" Brake line??, or is gas line a whole different thing?? thanks

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
APalusky said:
So what size do you recomend for brake lines?? Also. Would gas line be the same as the 3/8" Brake line??, or is gas line a whole different thing?? thanks
use 3/16" it is easy to bend by hand, uses 1/8" fittings, and is small enough and easy to hide, not to mention, it's the most common in the OEM, so parts are cheap and easy to find.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Basicly I have been told to use ready built lines. That way i won't be the one making the flares. I would start by going to a wheel with a coat hanger, and start bending the coat hanger to the size that is needed. Then bend it back to the flat size. Then I will know what size line to get.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
3/16 line is fine and used by most auto manufacturers.

Nylon "Adel clamps" are fine,

the local airport mechanic shop will have either nylon or the metal Adels with rubber wrapping. Aircraft stuff is quality. Maybe $ 1 each but worth it.

Sounds like you have a "combination valve" (not a proportioning valve) from some assembly line vehicle. These work well if sized for the vehicle. I always hook up the warning light in case of a system pressure loss.

I use steel brake line and brass couplings for fuel line. Hey, it's heavy duty and cheap, and easy to route. Also NHRA legal. :thumbup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered this morning from Speedway Motors the valves, and adapters that I need for this. I still have concern though over the master clyinder its self though. IU have 2 that came with the project. I have no idea where they came from, or what they were on. I don't know if they even work. The way that this cage is welded to hold the master I am not sure I could get another to fit. He also gave me what he thought is the original brake pedal. It came on some solid iron rod. There is nothing to hook it up to, and without the body on I am not sure how the bracket should be made for it..
What size brake line do you use for gas line?? I also have a 20gal aluminum gas tank that came from a boat. My problem there is that the inlet points towards the back of the car, and not to the side. I took out the sender unit today and found out that at one time gas was in there. Could I just install a 90 on that inlet?? Or do you suggest that I have it cut, and rewelded?? Yhanks..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bend up your coat hanger...

Then measure it with a flexible tape measure. You don't have to worry about being precise as you'll likely be able to 'fudge' a bend or 2 so the premade lengths fit where you need them to.

And yes, the 3/8" steel tubing works just fine for your fuel line, or you can also get aluminum tubing from the hardware store for less than a 'racing fuel line kit'...

Doc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts