Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new guy here and wanted to build my first 383 stroker motor with this 10054727 block i got for cheap. I was browsing and seen a few 383 stroker kits ranging in different prices very over whelming and dont know what to pick. I want to build a street strip car daily if had to be but was looking a the Eagle specialty product b13404l04053 eagle street performance rotating assemblies with keith black pistons. Is this a good choice?

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
Nothing wrong with that choice at all for the medium peformance level.

If you want more emphasis on the street hot performance and strip side of it I'd prefer to see forged pistons rather than hypereutectic. Over 425 hp I'm gonna say no to hyper pistons, just because they don't handle abuse or missed tune/running conditions well without blowing up..

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
Cheap is what your getting, it’s strictly a daily driver. The pistons use a circular dish which mimics OEM design, this always inefficient design that reduces squish/quench, doing so makes the engine more detonation prone and more fuel hungry. The D dish piston is a much better solution in this regard. The former circular dish leads into hyper castings danger zone of ungraceful failures where instead of melting an edge through the ring pack they splinter into pieces leaving the rod and wrist pin flailing in the bore bashing holes in the cylinder wall. These pistons are OK on the street for the most part unless you tow, plow snow or do heavy duty things and feed the engine 87 octane while doing it, or expect to use nitrous or supercharge on the engine. It’s not that they don’t work but you have to understand their limits.

The 727 block has to be clearanced at the pan rail and often at the cylinder wall to upper crankcase blend. You have to do this with the assembly installed while measuring the needed clearance as there isn’t a lot of block material to work with you grind just enough to get the minimum of .050 inch. Being generous with the clearance can easily get into the backside of the cooling jackets. You may also find it necessary to trim some of the rods to clear the cam.

This set up as with most 383 kits is externally balanced which requires a 400 engines front damper be purchased.

If you use aluminum head’s the block should be zero decked to allow thicker composite head gaskets to be used as these reduce the wear on the softer aluminum from their expansion/contraction movement scrubbing them over the gasket which is considerably more than the harder iron block. This also allows trimming the squish/quench clearance to the desired .040 inch.

So building a 383 is a little tricky, not overly difficult but has requirements you need to understand going in, it is not the same as rebuilding a 350 where you just bolt it together, here you need to do some planning and massaging to get it built.

Bogie

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going into this making me nervous now lol i actually was thinking about it over night and was thinking should i just get some good heads re work them and get me a cam and call it a day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.