Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My build finally has all its rust taken care of and major floor board mods done. Interior is primed and want to make custom dash, console, door panels, and rear plastics.

I figure start with the dash, no?
I have gauges already. (Autometer).
Then console, etc...

I will be running a new column. Worth getting now, or should I wait. I know buying as much as you can, as soon as you can for fitment makes sense, but wanted some opinions from people who have done ground up builds before.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,318 Posts
I get the "cookie cutter" stuff first. If I know I'll be using a purchased column, gauge pod, or seats, I get those first and fab around them. Sometimes it doesn't matter, like if you have a universal column that you know will be X inches long and you have to weld on the support bracket, it won't make much difference. But if you're going to use a 62 Buick column, yes get the column first.

Basically anything with fixed dimensions I get acquired first so any custom pieces can be made to fit the fixed piece I'm using. As far as door cards and console, the big factor there will be seats - making sure the armrests don't hit the cushion (or equally bad, are too far away from the seat to be useful/comfy)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fantastic help. Thanks so much curtis 73.
That's sort of what I figured, but wasn't sure.
I plan to buy a universal sort of column from Ididit. So that will be a custom/retrofit sort of thing.
No one makes anything like a new column for a 91 Z28, but I hate the look and feel of the stock one in my basement so I want to get something new.
I have the stock, everything in the basement for reference.

In a nutshell my plan was to use the stock dash frame (part that actually bolts to the car), and console frame and build up from there.
I see a lot of build with routed MDF, fiberglass, bondo etc... Was thinking those things could be made to bond to the frames so I can easily bolt them in an out of the car.
May still need additional tie downs as the stock stuff wasn't too goo anyways.

I also plan to make this a very simple interior. No radio or speakers even, no AC. Just defroster/heat and power door locks and windows. (Plus the controls for the air bags)

Purely a fun show car. I start a build thread with images later today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think the steering wheel is crucial when designing the dash, of mainly just the column? I could order parts now, but I don't want to risk them getting scratched up as I learn how to make the interior.

Maybe I will just use the stock column and grant wheel as stand ins to do rough layout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.