Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just got a 51 ford custom deluxe 4dr and i was wanting some advise on what i should so first the car is still a 6v car. i was thinking about converting it to 12v then lowering the car, after that i was going to get a new cam and a 4bbl carb for the flathead with a new exhaust. i already got new rims and tires for the car and was wondering on what i should do first

·
Registered
654 Posts
Welcome 51FordDuff,

Sounds like you have some good directions planned for your '51. What I do is determine what I want the car to be then plan the steps needed to get there.
Additionally, since you just picked up the car I would evaluate the rest of the vehicle as well, brakes suspension, body, etc.

Have fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have allready had everything checked out and the breaks and every thing are good on it i have even taken it out and around and drove it to school i want to have the street rod look but i dont know what to start on first :confused: there are so many things i want to do

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey 51 Fordduf,

If it was mine I'd put the new wheels on and drive it for a little while to see how it does. The old cars ran a long time on the 6v system so unless I wanted to add electronics on or was going to drive it regularly of a night I would first focus on properly lowering the car. Check out Fatman fabrications for some dropped spindles and while you are at it you might want to consider rebuilding the suspension based on condition. Then you might want to update the electrical system with a 12 v harness. The generator will need to be changed to an alternator as well. Afterward then I would consider doing something to the engine. Remember to prioritize the projects based on time, budget and ability. It is a whole lot more fun to do a step at time and drive rather than give up at some point and let the car sit in a garage.

Happy building

1 - 5 of 5 Posts