Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
hotrodder 4 life
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a used oxy/acet. setup locally. i am in need of a torch, and this costs about half of what a new setup would.

it is a victor torch with big bottles. the ad says the dates on the bottles are still good.

what do i need to look out for?

·
Registered
734 Posts
bet on black said:
i found a used oxy/acet. setup locally. i am in need of a torch, and this costs about half of what a new setup would.

it is a victor torch with big bottles. the ad says the dates on the bottles are still good.

what do i need to look out for?
Victor makes a couple of different grade quality setups - but I think has a good rep regardless...the biggest issue is the tanks.

If they are rented ( or hot ) you won't be able to get them filled. Some places around here WA. won't fill a tank unless you buy it from them - about 350.00 for a medium set filled.

Are you getting welding tips, or just a cutting torch?

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
I used to buy reconditioned torch heads that were unclaimed from Praxair when I was at the construction co. Iron workers are hell on torches (think they are hammers) I wouldn't buy new, they beat the p-ss out of em. Got some great deals.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Remove the tip and check the threads that hold the tip retaining nut, if these are stripped/worn then you would probably better pass on it. Also while the tip is out check the two seats where the tip makes contact to make sure these are not scored or have nicks in them. Quite often tips will get dropped and damaged on the seal end causing the torch to backfire then in an attempt to stop this the operator will over-tighten the tip damaging the threads and seats, this is VERY common. Seems like when ever a tip is dropped it ALWAYS lands butt first :mad: and leaves nicks/flat spots on the seal surfaces and when this happens CHUCK THE DARN THING! do NOT attempt to use it! :nono: Also check for soot around the tubes that connect the handle to the head and make sure there is no evidence of leakage around the nuts holding these if there is DO NOT let someone tell you that all it needs is a "little tightening"! These two problems are about the most common so other than that just check for signs of abuse such as bent tubes and impact damage on the head from some idiot using it for a hammer to try to knock off a piece he has attempted to cut. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
On top of the "tank" issues (Most places around me will not fill them unless you bought or leased them through them) and the other advice posted, check for cracks or cuts in the hoses. A weather-checked hose is not going to last long.

In a while, Chet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.