Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1964 Chevy c10 with the stock 6 and 3 speed. I am looking for a tranny preferably manual that would bolt up easy and make it more highway worthy. I have heard the 5 speed out of an S 10 would work any truth to that?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
old overdrives

passenger overdrives out of old wagons would make it cruize better. chevy used aheavy duty borg warner T 85 behind a few trucks... they have a lot of the same parts as a t 10 4 speed. I don't think gm used the t 85 overdrive ...Most t 85 overdrives were in fords and lincolns ...some other companies also used T 85's ... probably very hard to find nowdays. another rare but heavy duty trans was the packard overdrive,, easy to use on chevies. and a syncro on all gears.

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
64chevybeater said:
I have a 1964 Chevy c10 with the stock 6 and 3 speed. I am looking for a tranny that would bolt up easy and make it more highway worthy.
You probably have the Muncie SM-318 trans with the non-sync 1st. If you want to keep the 3.73 rear that's probably in your truck, you'll need an OD trans, maybe a TH700R4 automatic. A T85 as mentioned would be a good manual OD.

I chose to go from a 3.73 to 3.08 rear gear. Works good. Still get to grind gears on the column.

·
Registered
295 Posts
check bolt pattern on th350-400..... i think it should fit and would be a easy swap....powerglide should fit also,, but 3 speeds are better than 2....
and a lot cheeper....
no need for a automatic o/d...these trans are old school and are used in most early chevy trucks...
don't forget flex plate...

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
driveshaft length is going to be an issue if its the 318 trans because the 318 trans is actually 3" shorter than even the 6" tail th340 and 200c and 2004r trannies

if its the 326 full synch trans(if its 292 engine then it should be) the it will be the same length as the 6" tail th350 and the others except 700r4 and th400 still

an auto trans crossmember from a 63-72 truck will be needed

and an auto column although i have used the 3 speed column to run an auto trans before such as in a '68 c-10 307 sm326 i had that i put a th350 6" in place of. i just wired up the other shift lever on the column

i used the shift linkage parts from a 73-up truck, i tack welded the pivot bracket to the frame rail across from the shift shaft on the trans

works fine

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.