Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here and have enjoyed this site alot,great info here.. I have a set of heads with casting number of 462624. They have huge valves in them and would like to know what I have.Does anyone know or could guide me to info to figure out,
intake runner cc's
intake flow cc's
exhaust flow cc's
cumbustion chamber cc's

Thanks for any help, Philip
ps. these are going on a 350 with block casting number of 3970014 :D

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: philip ]</p>

·
Registered
8 Posts
According to www.mortec.com they are:

462624.....75-86...350/400......76cc chamber, 1.72/1.5, 1.94/1.5 or 2.02/1.6 valves

·
Registered
517 Posts
There are some websites that have flow numbers. everythingnova.com used to have the flow information, but the site is not up now so I can't help with the flow numbers. But I think they are fairly good for "old style" heads.

Your head casting 462624 is Chevy part number 464045 and were replacment heads from Chev. They may have been used as production line heads later, but were originally used as Chevy parts house heads. According to Lingenfelter:

Port Volume cc's 161/61

Valve size: 2.02/1.60

Chamber capacity 76cc

The heads are the same as 492 heads except that 492 are 64cc, so the flow may be similar if you can find flow information for the 492. In a general discussion in his book, he infers that the 624 heads are pretty good to work with, but says that they are overpriced from Chevy and recommends usning Dart II for the same money.

If you have them and they are "free" to you, fine, but before I put much money into reconditioning them, I would buy Vortec L31 heads directly from Chevroltet for $430 per pair. These will outflow everything up to $1000 heads available new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Philip,

Your heads are 76cc Chamber Vol 2.02 Intake and 1.60 Exhaust. If you want some compression. You would want to find something in a 64cc Chamber Vol.

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: telegod ]</p>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello;

I am new to this board. The 462624 casting number was put on at least two different castings. A thin wall casting and a so called heavy duty casting. The years overlap so the date code does not do much good unless the head is an early year. Valve size can be 1.94/2.02 intake and 1.50/1.60 exhaust, respectfully. I have researched this casting number because my 350 engine came with mismatched heads.

I am looking for one 3973487 head...if any of you have one laying around on a bench somewhere.

Regards,
VanAgain350

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the same heads and was told I could shaved them to get the combustion chamber down a bit.and bring them compression up a bit can anyone confirm this and if so how much can I take off?

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,642 Posts
Roughly .005 per CC. Roughly! Due to the shape of the chambers being wedge shaped this figure change some per .001 taken off the face. You'll simply have to remove some metal than measure to see what you get, then repeat. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I had thought that not much could be milled because f the intrusion angle of the water jacket leaving the center cyl. same as 882,624, and some other very similar smog casting

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let's be carefull guys.Over the years I was told and read how 624's and 882's are flippin' boat anchors.The castings are very light and they tend to develop hot spots and crack around the exhaust seats (usually between the two valves)especially if 2.02 and1.60 are fitted.As long as you run light on the compression and don't develop much heat,they'll get you by for a bit,otherwise "run away".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts