Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the final stage of rebuilding my 700-R4. My lockup wiring is very brittle, bending it about 90 degrees will cause the sheathing to break. I am wondering what type of wire is recommended for use inside the transmission. Is heatshrink OK to use in transmission oil?

Also I have a temp switch currently in my trans. From what I have read if the fluid gets above a certain temperature the switch will close and cause the torque converter to lockup in an attemp to cool the transmission down. Should I keep this in the circuit or is it OK to bypass? FWIW, TCC will be controlled via ECU.

·
Administrator
10,187 Posts
I would think a GXL or SXL wire would resist oil

Shrink tube needs to be polyolefin material. I use dual wall with adhesive inside it that flows out under heat.

Trans oil will soften up the budget shrink tube, been there. :D

or purchase a fresh replacement wire harness . Rostra is a quality brand harness

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If I could get a new harness I would go that route as the plastic conduit is broken in many places. Any idea if they make a harness for a 1989 Caprice 5.7L? I have seen some delco ones but there is no information on what they are for and ythe pictures are crappy. I would need the one that has 4th gear switch going to the ecu with the temp switch. And then 2 wires for the lockup solenoid itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.