Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a model A and I want to paint the underside of the fenders and running boards. I want to use and flat black undercoat or gravel guard protection but nothing that will look ugly. The car does sit low but you can see under the front fenders. I would prefer to use something from a rattle can that I can get from an automotive paint supplier. Something with quality. Something that will stand up well but not to thick and blochy looking. I don't mind a semi rough finish. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh ya and would I use a solvent type cleaner to prep the area for dirt and whatever?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just a thought here.I think you answered your own question already. Go to your locak jobber and look at the 3M gravel guard. They have a precharged can with an extension nozzle. The only other choices I know of are the 3 and evercoat type of stuff in a can. Cheap, but does not hold up as well. The more expensive route may be a urethane bed liner type of spray or undercoat. About a $160 for the kit.

·
StreetRods Rock
34 Posts
I am using Star Blocker on the underside of my fiberglass fenders. It glues in place with the supplied glue. It is a matt that you cut to fit. It really does a good job of blocking the rocks from getting to the fenders and creating the stars. It is an alternative that you may want to look into if you decide not to spray. If you go to my gallery pics you will see it under the front fender. Just a thought.

·
StreetRods Rock
34 Posts
I think you can buy it from Classic Enterprises of Virginia, P.O box 3444, Charlottesville, Va. You should also be able to get it from any rod parts distributor.

·
Registered
717 Posts
a real nice looking undercoat is 3m body schutz. unfortunately it needs to be sprayed with an undercoat gun but they are really pretty cheap, about $18, and the undercoat screws right to the gun. best looking stuff i've seen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts