Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Almost an old guy...
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story,
SBC 350 .030 over, cam specs: @.050 Intake duration 204, lift .420, exhaust duration 214 lift .443 , 1.5 rockers

Vac at idle (800 rpm) is around 12 inches, I was expecting more, idle is choppy, I was expecting smooth.... did I buy one thing and get another???? anyway to check without tearing into the engine?

I've checked for vac leaks around carb and intake none found, I won't get the exhaust on till tomorrow so I can't take it for a drive to see how it really runs until tomorrow.

Any ideas or am I just barking up an empty tree????

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,810 Posts
You didn't post the overlap figures or the LSA but just a good guess it should pull round 17 or maybe better at 700rpm. You got a pretty conservative cam for a .030 over flat top motor. Sounds like you need to investigate the timing and carb idle tune. Both of those wIll have the biggest impact on vacuum at idle.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
How Soon We Forget

Johnsongrass1,
I'm surprised you didn't ask him if he verified the accuracy of his gauge. You brought this question to my attention a while back and guess what, you were right! :thumbup:
http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43549

Lance,
If you don't have another gauge to check your engine with, attach you current gauge to a new engine with good vacuum. I checked mine against a brand new Tundra and only got 14" at idle in park. I figured the gauge was reading at least 5" low.

Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts