Hot Rod Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
People are paying stupid money for falcons, fox-body mustangs, and 3rd generation Fbodies. The C4 will probably never reach the 6-figure numbers of the premier vettes, but theres also the fact that the guys buying those cars have more income flexibility due to their age.

The LT4 and LT5 cars will start to pull away from their mid80s brethren. The Grand Sport in particular and anything with an LT5. We're rapidly closing in on a time where the guys buying hotrods, regard carburetors as a curiosity more than a 'must have'.
Acura Integra Type-R's, Mitsubishi 3000gt's and Eagle Talons are the collector cars of the future.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
your right compton

i looked at a '72 mach1 for $20k. looked really nice in the pic's i got.. up close a different story, i walked away. the one i got had all new interior, wheels/tire, paint ~4yrs, new headliner. floor pans are in wonderful shape. everything works. and i paid half of that mach1, the guy had a mach1 he's wanting to redo and needed the bucks..

Attachments

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
the mustang will hold it's value well . i just dont think the base square body vettes will do well over time . the smog vettes are still very low and will be slow to increase by much. my preference is from c1's through to 70 . after the nader bumpers i lost interest .

·
Registered
158 Posts
A well restored '69 Mach I will bring in real good money. But, it's probably the most sought after 'stang besides the Shelby's.... I too prefer the older vettes, but, I also think C7s are killer. Just wait a few years and buy one for 1/2 the cost of new. But that's the problem, depreciation......

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
the fox body mustangs have replaced the camaro in drag racing. falcons were 400 dollars until hot rod ran a spread on a gasser. but they will tank in price again when the new wears off them and something else is featured.

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
i have yet to see any interest in restoring a c4 . the constant complaint from owners is that it cost more to paint than the car is worth. the base c4's are in the range of 10k and below. same with the late c3 smog cars. i dont write the rules i just play by them .

·
Registered
533 Posts
My wife has a 95 torch red targa coupe (showroom shiny) that is all stock on the outside but has close to 500hp under the hood AND still can cruise in comfort with the A/C on. Corners like a go kart, stops on a dime. 2-3hr drives don't leave one sore and want to get outta thing. Worse part is getting in and outta the low slung thing. But once your in it, it is an enjoyable car to drive and have. It's a keeper.

·
Banned
120 Posts
i have yet to see any interest in restoring a c4 . the constant complaint from owners is that it cost more to paint than the car is worth. the base c4's are in the range of 10k and below. same with the late c3 smog cars. i dont write the rules i just play by them .
This point is null and void..
as there was a time that a 67 vette cost more than it was worth to paint, Heck you could buy them for 500.00 in the early /mid 70's..
same with the c-3,, the 2nd gen f-body...

You know what is so great about the C4 vettes now. over say the mustang you compared it to in other post above?? The vette you can drive and not worry about if it'll get a paint chip or adding to many mile to it..
you can mod it. and use it, driving it, instead of looking at it..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Look at the 80's pickups that are bringing in collector money. Seen a lot of that watching MECUM..... Who would have thought those trucks are considered collectors? They were all short boxes.... Mainly chevys, but not all. Heck, I've even seen early 90's trucks too....

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
in 72 i bought a 65 roadster with 52k miles on it for 3200. it was an all orig car in excellent shape. a paint job then ran about 800-1200 dollars.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Here's my 2 cents, and it's probably worth about that. I purchased a 1990. I was looking for a chrome bumper, having had those in the past. However this car was in perfect shape.

One of the things I like about the 90 is it's an old school gen 1 SBC and it's easy to work on. Distributor ignition, no optispark, etc. I got the car up to 450 RWHP and will smoke all but highly modified C-5 and C-6s at this juncture. There's nothing wrong with a C4. I also like that it has the new interior (for the C4) and the older body style outside, which I'm partial to.

The C-5s are also pretty low and hard to get in and out of.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.