Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Ok, this is my first attempt to build a chassis and I wonder what went wrong. I'm building a SBC powered Triumph Spitfire, and using a narrowed Ford 8.8. The car originally had IRS so the rear half needed to go bye-bye to install a 4-link.(plus it was super rusty) Anyway, I cut the frame off just behind the front body mounts and replaced it with a homemade chassis made from 2x3" rectangular tubing. I built it using a square and the floor in my shop. As I tacked everything together, I measured over and over again and checked my angles with the square. After everything was tacked, I began to weld everything solid. I moved around to different seems so as not to put too much heat into one area at a time. After everything was said and done, it sat nice and square on the floor. So after everything was cooled, two days later(today), I notice the whole thing was slightly twisted. The passenger side corner is now about 1/8" off the floor. What could I do to prevent this from happening in the future? What did I do wrong? To me this is a giant learning experience and I'm not sweating it too much. This car is likely to be a "prototype" for the next one. Do you guy's think this will affect the cars drivability or it hooking up at the track? Thanx for any inputs!:)

·
Philippines Cowboy
888 Posts
Only off 125 thou on a large weldment? I'd pat myself on the back for a job well done! Don't worry about it!! If anybody asks, tell them it was perfect.

Personally, I'd have used the Corvette IRS. Even with wrinkle walls, you probably couldn't have busted it on a car that light. (I have a Sprite with a shortened Chevy axle and wish now that I'd used an IRS. With a narrow track, that unloading of the right rear really becomes a problem!)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only off 125 thou on a large weldment? I'd pat myself on the back for a job well done! Don't worry about it!! If anybody asks, tell them it was perfect.
:D :D :D :D

:) Thanx! I was thinking about using using an IRS out of an RX7 GTU, but the 8.8 seemed abit easier. I was thinking about narrowing it through the axle shafts. The Vette rear end would indeed of bee the way to go, but I can only spend $2k on the total build. A friend of mine narrowed the it for me using a set of 9" Strange axles for a grand total of $100. Can't beat that. What's the details on the Sprite? I wish I would have had a jig to weld/tie the entire thing down with. This is not the last chassis I'm planning on building, so I will be investing in more tools geared for just that. Thanx for the encouragement!:thumbup:

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Ya did good

ya +/- 0.125 is good..ever measure a factory chassis they are out beyond that..:spank:

the main thing is getting the axles square in the car..:thumbup:

that being said having a good solid jig to bolt or clamp all the peices to when building a chassis is a good thing and those can be made from heavy beams from the local steel recycler..

OMT:D Smiling about the good guys!!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hey Frankenstang, if your doing the same you did with the stang your building it for the 2005 challenge for under $2005 right???
Sounds like a sweet project to me, have fun and I hope you win the event.

Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D That's it exactly, Nightfire. I would of did a lot better last year if it weren't for my lousy transmission. I may run the 'stang again this year as well. I figure I could get it ready in a week if need be. I have a set of heads from a '69 BB to throw on it and another trans too. We'll see how the Spit goes. I wish my POS computer would talk to my camera, I have about 60 more photos to enter. I feel much better about this build thanks to you guys. I was really pretty bummed when I noticed it was warped. The axle should be square. If it is off a bit, I guess I can make up for it by adjusting the 4-link a bit.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts