Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
two cups of tea
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so next week Ill be picking up the 350 to replace my 305&I've never pulled or installed an engine before...luckily my grandpas friend owns a shop down the road where he works on cars&he told me I catch on real quick(he's taught me alot)&he will help me it shouldn't be a problem.Well I need to know what all am I gonna need?I'm buying an arp engine fastner kit if I can come up with the money...a gasket kit but is that all I need?motor mounts?new plugs?thanx

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
There is no need for ARP fasteners, get the engine, see what it has to have, and go from there. I would spring for new oil/filter, antifreeze, plugs, cap & rotor. Save the bling for when you have more cash.

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
I agree ARP fasteners are not needed here, stock stuff will do you just fine. Get it back together running and then worry about upgrades. It would need to be a complete high hp rebuild before you need to get ARP stuff for it.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
dip stick tube on the same side and exhaust manifolds style wil be the only real thing ot worry about

dpeends on the year in it now and what year engine you have for it

79 was last year then they moved the stick to the other side..

for example if you got an '80-up model with the smogger manifolds that are above the spark plugs then the 79 older engine dipstick tube will not work becuase it is right in the driver side back where the outlet of the manifold needs to go

so you have to watch for this issue

ive run into this issue a few times over the years

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Make sure you support the transmission with a jack or something before you pull the engine away. I like to put a jack stand under them if there is room. It will save you a lot of trouble with alignment when installing the new engine. Try to have the transmission as high as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.