Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
two cups of tea
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a question about a set up that's going in my 83 monte carlo its nothing special but was wondering what I may be able to expect well I'm gonna use a pretty much stock 350 casting number 3970010&maybe a mild cam a holley 600 electric choke 4 barrel my edelbrock performer intake&edelbrock headers true duals with cherry bomb glass packs&I MAY use my 305 heads casting number r 14014416 thanx guys

·
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
625 Posts
Whats a mild cam? MIld to you may be radical to someone else or vice versa. Thats really leaving out a lot of important info by not giving cam specifications and thats the heart and soul of any horsepower making project. Come on now, be more specific with what cam your gonna use.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I like cutthroat. He`s ambious as most young rodders are, but smart enough to ask and listen. As mentioned, give us the complete specs of things and far more can be done to help. Rear gears play a huge role in how a car performs. Since your monte came with a 7.5 rear diff, the 82 to 87 trans am`s and Z28`s came with the same rear. I have the codes of these that tell which are posi traction and what gear ratios they have. Since me and my friends have delt with many mid 80`s Old`s cutlasses which use the same 7.5 rear, we would take the codes to the junk yards and check every single trans am and Z28 there to find the rear we was looking for. When we found it, we would snatch the guts out of it, pay the junker, take`em home and install them in our cutlass. We usually paid $150 for the whole rear only if the junker wouldn`t let us buy the guts. after paying for synthetic lube so the posi rear didn`t clunk and clatter, our total investment was maybe $230. Rodding is all about doing things on the cheap when ever possible. And the 7.5 rear holds up well to 300 horsepower and street tires. If you bolt on slicks it`s a different story. 305 heads are fine to use on a dished piston 350 and a small cam. Many a young rodder has followed this road with good success. The small valves of the 305 heads on a 350 with a small cam and tuned correctly will give it explosive out of the hole power, and this is what makes street cars so much fun. don`t focus your builds on horsepower, focus on torque. Torque is what moves the vehicle, torque is what wins races. If you use a small RV cam with 305 heads, I would use a Quadrajet carb, the small primaries will give it even more low end power, with throttle response so sensitive you`ll swear it`s fuel injected.

·
two cups of tea
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx double...I learn sooooo much from you guys,well I talked to a [email protected] local speed shop today&he wanted 600 bucks to polish&port my 305 heads.I only work a few hours after school that's like a million bucks to me haha...well I've looked in the trunk for a code&on the diff cover&there's nothing nowhere,I know its not a posi :( but Ill get that I'm saving for it next!I have pix I took of my 305 heads to see if you guys could tell me if my grand pa ported em but I can't upload if somebody wants to pm me there email Ill send them to em&tech inspector told me to not get a cam till I get the engines compression so idk I have no idea of how to even pick out one&I'm buying drag radials around christmass hopefully

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.