Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just driving down the road one day and noticed that for some odd reason, my truck (on 79 chassis) is pulling hard to the right! thought somehow i might have something come loose so took it to Les Schwab and they tried to rip me off by telling me i needed everything under the sun plus my steering box was loose!!!! What the! this thing drove fine last time i drove it!!

sure enough, the ball joints they said were bad, tested good and looked like new. the steering box had one semi- loose bolt, the rest were tight. but all 4 of my tie rod ends were shot. but that was a cheap and easy fix and far from the $1400 they wanted from me. THEIVES worthy of the Midas brand!!

so when i took the caliper off the disc, it was pretty hard, i had to bleed the fluid out of it to compress it a little to get it off the disc.

I would like to know why it would just suddenly clamp up. when i checked the fluid for the front, it was almost empty. that's the only thing that was off and would THAT cause it somehow? i'm not getting it.

·
More for Less Racer
20,952 Posts
What happened is it didn't fully release from the last stop you made previously. Then runs with a slight drag, drag makes heat, heat makes expansion and bam, you've got a tight brake.

Either rust in the caliper bore stuck the piston, or the rubber brake hose is collapsing internally and acting like a one way valve pointed at the caliper.

The only other suspect is the master cylinder sticking not fully returned....but that should affect both front calipers and not just one.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,828 Posts
Another clue would be how the pads look.
Cooked and glazed it's been a like that a while.
Uneven wear indicated a stuck caliper pins, bent spindle, etc,

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Brake hose is common, especially if someone let the caliper hang during service. Or if you are like me, it slipped and fell when I should have held it up better.
Also I have seen more than 1 car get coolant put into the brake reservoir at a Quick Lube place. I think the last problem was a local issue, as I have never seen anything like that before or after I lived in Marble Falls Tx.

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm. braided brake hose. pads looked ok. didn't look for rust but yeah i get that it didn't release so would seem like it hung up. i dont take my truck out to service but i am at a loss for the front brake reservoir being almost empty, i didn't let that much brake fluid out. well weirder things have happened. like my choke lever being pulled out from the engine side! i'll spray some lube carefully behind the pads and see what happens. thx

·
More for Less Racer
20,952 Posts
Spraying lube behind the pads has about a .01% chance of helping if it is a stuck piston in the caliper.....the rust is internal, in the fluid cavity, and gets wedged between the sides of the caliper bore and the side of the caliper piston.
Generally takes disassembly and clean/hone along with new caliper piston seals, basically rebuilding the caliper.....or just replace the calipers..

Spraying lube around near brake rotors and pads is also a recipe for ruined parts.

My guess would be you have a slow leak at a caliper or wheel cylinder, and that is where the fluid has disappeared from the master cylinder(or a slow leak at the rear of the master, into the brake booster).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts