Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall, i have a 83 cadillac coupe deville and i know its diffrent, but i wanna make it a street/fun strip car, i know it probly wont compete on the strip and i know damn well it wont with my budget im just looking to have fun, so my question is what are the first things you would change

motor: 307 oldsmobile
tranny: not sure yet

and everything eles is stock, the car orig came with the 4100 but it was changed out for the 307 befor i got it, have no idea on m iles or anything.... any info would be great, also if u got aim or msn would be really kool, thanks

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
boy I dunno man, its gonna take a lot of motor to move that tank out. You could make it into a cruiser, and have it move out ok, but it would take a whole lot of motor.

if you want to do street/strip I think you just have the wrong car...

K

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol i know its a big car, but big cars are my fav, and its diffrent and a challenge, somthin ive wanted for a while... please any info, thanks

BTW mostly gonna be street driven but ide take it to the strip once in a while just for fun tho.... thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
Find a 472, 500, or if you must a 425. Bolt it and a TH400 in. If you want I can post some links to cadillac boards.

My 74 coupe deville gets here tonight(saturday). So I can appreciate your interest in big and different cars.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea could u post or email me them links?
[email protected]

do u know anywere to find 472's or 500's in michigan? i tryed a few scrap yards looking for big blocks but they say all the big blocks they have they wanna keep... :-/ hopfully ill find somthing :) thanks

(doughtful but im looking for a running big block for around 200-250 thanks)

·
Registered
258 Posts
links

http://www.cowboyseven.us/forum/
General caddy tech

http://www.hwforums.com/2089/
The MTS board

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/index.php?
General cadillac talk more broad than the other two. Also includes new caddy info.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/search_results.pl?make=Cadillac&model=DeVille
Not really a board, but has a ton of coupe and sedan deville pics. Great for ideas and comparison.

Ebay is where I got my caddy and it cost me 338 dollars. For a low compression mid 70s 472 powered CDV needing a new tranny. The best ones are 68-71 472s and 70-71 500s out of eldorados. You can probably find a motor for maybe 200 dollars fairly easy, just hard to say if you could get a high compression one for that.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Kenny13z3 said:
yea could u post or email me them links?
[email protected]

do u know anywere to find 472's or 500's in michigan? i tryed a few scrap yards looking for big blocks but they say all the big blocks they have they wanna keep... :-/ hopfully ill find somthing :) thanks

(doughtful but im looking for a running big block for around 200-250 thanks)
Where in MI are you? If you are on the West side, call 616-842-6940 M-F 8:30 - 5:00, S 8:30 - 1:00

They should be able to hook you up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i called, they have a 500 for 350 bux, it runs he said, does that sound like a good deal? i thought it was considring we pay 50-75 bux for a rebiuldable 350 and another 250 for the kit lol thanks alot for the # do u know an adress or a name? i forgot to ask

·
Registered
16 Posts
A big car with a big engine...sounds good but won't it look funny with a 55 gallon drum for the gas tank?...sorry but had to add that at $2.00 a gallon here in NY. I beleave some cadillacs were front wheel drive. Might want to check into that first before buying the engine, to make sure they interchange with the rear wheel drive trans. Good luck with the car.

·
1,053 Posts
Kenny13z3 said:
i called, they have a 500 for 350 bux, it runs he said, does that sound like a good deal? i thought it was considring we pay 50-75 bux for a rebiuldable 350 and another 250 for the kit lol thanks alot for the # do u know an adress or a name? i forgot to ask
I have purchased many engines from them and never had too many issues with them...minor things typically. They check them out pretty good, but it may have sat for a while so you never know.

$350 is a decent price. Spring lake is between Muskegon and Grand Haven.

Joes Auto Parts
14670 Cleveland (m104)
Spring Lake, MI 49456

If you are coming on US31, take the Spring Lake exit and it is just past the 4th light on the right.

If coming on I-96, take the Grand Haven/Spring Lake exit and it is just before the 1st light on the left.

·
1,053 Posts
If you do get it, be sure you are ready to run it as you only get a 30 day warranty.

Even if you need to rig up a stand or something, just some way to fire it up and listen to it.

Also, be sure to run a quality detergent oil through it (I prefer Quaker State SAE 30). Prime the system prior to starting.

Change they oil prior to first start, run it until it is completely warmed up, and then change the oil. This will get any corrosion, condensation, etc... out of it. Then run it for 500 miles and change the oil again.

Then you can go to 3,000 or whatever.

May seem like overkill, but $45 worth of oil and filters sure beats a destroyed $350 engine. I have always done this with scrap yard engines and haven't lost one yet.

Oh yeah, you may want to consider replacing all the gaskets and seals on this thing. I made the mistake of not doing it on a 4.0 for my Jeep...the thing would dump 2 quarts a week out of the rear main seal.

They haven't produced the 500 Caddy engines in some time now so you can be sure the thing has been sitting around a while and the gaskets and seals are probably dried up so I would definately invest in a engine gasket set. Trust me, you won't be happy if you don't.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok thanks for the advice :) i didnt know they even offerd a warranty if i go ahead and get it ill pull out the stock motor the same day and get the new one hooked up the next day or try the same day thanks alot for all the help :) do u have aim or msn tho? thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
'83 is still RWD. I think '88 was the last of the regular RWD cars. I bought an '89 for parts and it was FWD.
The purist streak in me likes the idea of a big caddy v-8 is a big caddy. I'll be looking for a 500 to replace the 455 in my motorhome soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea i know 83 is rwd ;) lol i hate fwd... no offence to anyone anyway i talked to lonestar and descussed what i wanted then he told me alot of stuff i could do and from his ideas and mine i figured out how im gonna do it, and most of its pretty cheep stuff actully (gotta do the work myself, but i was gonna do that anyway) so hopfully it will be lookin good by spring thanks for all the help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.