Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a project car that i picked up from my brother in-law. it needs alot of work. i am not sure what year it is. all i have to go by is the VIN number, however i am not sure how to read the year in with the old pre-1981 vins. the VIN number is only 13 digets long. the onbly letter in the VIN is R. Can anyone help?

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
Welcome......post a picture and we will tell you. You obviouslly don't have an ownership for this car. Get that straightened out before you get too far into this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are correct i do not have an ownership for this car yet. that is in the works and will be settled before i spend any money on the car. however my brother in law (who owns the car) tells me the car is a 1964 GTO. i find that hard to believe do to that being the first year the car was produced. also there were only 30,000 of those cars made in 1964. i do not have nay pictures yet to post of the car and it is in pretty bad shape. it will take years to restore and a whole lot of money. my first step before i start is to verify the year of the car before i agree to take the car off his hands. can you give me any indication on how to identify the correct year of the car. also a little foot note. the car has side byside head lights like the 1964. but this may not be the original front end.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
464 Posts
Seriously man, if you can get a picture or two I can tell you the year. They only made them for 10 years and they all have differences that are easy to pick out. I would not rule out it being a 64 just because that is the first year they were made, but if I were you I would be more worried this thing is a tempest or lemans of the same year. Also, you could just decode the VIN number. Year One has that all mapped out. If the VIN is 13 digits, then it is not a 64. If the headlights are side by side, and the VIN is 13 digits it would have to be 68 or later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts