Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm exploring my options for a motor on my 47 Dodge truck. One recommended was a late model HEMI. I think that sounds pretty sweet, but still have some time as I have to do suspension first. But I figure since I have a little time, why not see if i can find a good deal? So I've been poking my head around but not sure what years I'm looking for. Saw a 04 HEMI for $300, needs work. A few trucks with high mileage HEMIs for $2500 - for the whole truck.
2009 engine w/o crank or pistons 65k miles - $600. Affordability is a concern, since i building from scratch the whole truck. (I hear parts are cheaper for 04 HEMIs)

Just not entirely sure what to look for...So,
1. What year/years would be best?
2. What should I expect to pay for block?
3. Hemi tranny any good?
4. Anything I should know or would u recommend sticking with 318/360?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
242 Posts
From what I understand,you don't need the hemi trans per se.any small block trans will work.someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Burnt out transmission tech.
984 Posts
I'm exploring my options for a motor on my 47 Dodge truck. One recommended was a late model HEMI. I think that sounds pretty sweet, but still have some time as I have to do suspension first. But I figure since I have a little time, why not see if i can find a good deal? So I've been poking my head around but not sure what years I'm looking for. Saw a 04 HEMI for $300, needs work. A few trucks with high mileage HEMIs for $2500 - for the whole truck.
2009 engine w/o crank or pistons 65k miles - $600. Affordability is a concern, since i building from scratch the whole truck. (I hear parts are cheaper for 04 HEMIs)

Just not entirely sure what to look for...So,
1. What year/years would be best?
2. What should I expect to pay for block?
3. Hemi tranny any good?
4. Anything I should know or would u recommend sticking with 318/360?
Thanks in advance!
340 would fit nicely. 727 or 904 transmission.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Find a dodge with a 5.7 and a 545RFE.

You can run these standalone plug and play $1200 to 1500. All in around $3000 in parts($1000 for truck with engine/trans).

Here is a great company with excellent customer service that builds and tunes harnesses to run standalone.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Find a dodge with a 5.7 and a 545RFE.

You can run these standalone plug and play $1200 to 1500. All in around $3000 in parts($1000 for truck with engine/trans).

Here is a great company with excellent customer service that builds and tunes harnesses to run standalone.

Cerial, you've done one?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Not a hemi. But swap specializes will be building my harness and tuning my ecm when I get to the forced stage if my s10 build.
They are one of those companies that just does stuff better for a very respectful rates.

·
Registered
87 Dodge Dakota 6.1 hemi, 39 Chevy Master 85- work in progress
12 Posts
There are a few options for the gen3 hemi. I run a 6.1 with a 904 in my Dakota. I'm swapping to a 518 so I can have overdrive and lockup. I use a Holley terminator X to run the engine. If I had the terminator X max, it can do drive by wire and control the 46re transmission.

Any transmission that will bolt to a small block will work, you just run the conversion flexplate.

Engine management will depend if you go simple hydraulic transmission or the newer electronic ones. You can run any new transmission nag1, 545rfe, 8hp. After you decide what transmission that will dictate the computer that is used to control the engine. Hotwire auto specializes in the wiring for any transmission. Sound german automotive specializes in the nag1 and 8hp trans control.

I would use the 2009 up 5.7. It has a much better cylinder head. The problem with the pre 2009 5.7 is if it has been overheated the valve seats fall out. You can use a pre 09 shortblock and run newer heads with the newer intake manifold.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a few options for the gen3 hemi. I run a 6.1 with a 904 in my Dakota. I'm swapping to a 518 so I can have overdrive and lockup. I use a Holley terminator X to run the engine. If I had the terminator X max, it can do drive by wire and control the 46re transmission.

Any transmission that will bolt to a small block will work, you just run the conversion flexplate.

Engine management will depend if you go simple hydraulic transmission or the newer electronic ones. You can run any new transmission nag1, 545rfe, 8hp. After you decide what transmission that will dictate the computer that is used to control the engine. Hotwire auto specializes in the wiring for any transmission. Sound german automotive specializes in the nag1 and 8hp trans control.

I would use the 2009 up 5.7. It has a much better cylinder head. The problem with the pre 2009 5.7 is if it has been overheated the valve seats fall out. You can use a pre 09 shortblock and run newer heads with the newer intake manifold.

Since my last post, I've found out a lot of information on various sites. I found out about the notorious "Hemi knock" and as you mentioned that was fixed by 2009 head redesign. I also ran upon a group of hemi swappers called DIYHEMI.com. A ton of info on there. I'm still learning and really haven't seen a lot of Hemi information here on hotrodders. It got me thinking about maybe just maybe starting a post/thread/build on Hemi swap here on hotrodders. We will see as I am still quite new to this Mopar world, any world really if I'm honest. I built a GM350, but wasn't super into it and was just in a hurry to put it together. However, I'm REALLY digging this fuel injected Hemi computer controlled power plant. Maybe I'll chronicle all my learned info and help some other poor sap like me looking for information...

Reactions: cerial
1 - 8 of 8 Posts