Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bougt a 97 ford taurus and its got a busted block i think.No water in the oil but plenty in the cylinders,dont really understand that.Any way i was just going to put another moter in it and sell it but i dont know what year moters will fit.If any one knows i would really appreciate it. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Water in the cylinders would indicate a blown head gasket to me... I don't know anything about the later **** engines though so I may be blowen coolant myself...
Mark

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i wish i could be that lucky and just need the heads.The story behind the car is the guy had a shop put the motor in he just assumed that they put antifreeze in it.His wife drove it about 10 miles and shut it off and it wouldnt start back.He showed up and after a while it started back and the drove it about 5 miles and it quite.He said it had a big ball of ice froze around the shroud and stuff.I was leaning toward the heads cause aint that what freeze out plugs are for to keep from craking the block.Then i check the dip stick and the oil was clean and when i took the plugs out and cranked it over it was shooting water everywhere.
The car has sit for a year could the water if it had got in the oil have sunk to the bottem of the pan and not be showing on the dip stick?
I will probley buy the other moter but i would like to know for sure if they will swap out. So if any one has more i deals or could tell me what years will change it would be a big help. Thanks to all

·
Registered
248 Posts
Freeze plugs are not really freeze plugs, they are called expansion plugs and their purpose is to clean the sand out of the block after casting it. The plugs do not protect the block from cracking if it freezes. I have seen a few blocks cracked big time fom freezing and not a plug pushed out.

gcrmcc

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
If it was me (and I had the facilities) (shop, not MENTAL :pain: ), I would remove the engine, tear it down and then decide what to do.

What engine size (type) is it?

A salvage yard will have a HOLLANDERS interchange that will give you the swap years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts