Hot Rod Forum banner
61 - 80 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like the movable vice. Is that a flywheel it's on?? LOL i used a flywheel and a piece of fence pipe , welded up with a flat plat on it. Then went to wall mart and got a cheep fan to bolt on it. Now I got a fan that I can move around and hits me in the face or blows stuff around at shoulder hight.

·
The Big Money
383 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm so glad I started this thread. It is so cool to share what is made based on need & ingenuity. I love IROC100's Deer dresser.

I just got some aluminum slots that need cleaning & polishing. After stareing at an empty engine stand and some scrap steel - I whipped up a bracket that holds 1 wheel at a height that doesn't kill my back while I buff.

Gonna build another bracket that'll hold an 8.8 rear end while I R&R that too. I just hate to see an empty engine stand sitting there doing nothing...

49 T&C

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
The Welding bench is in my Project Journal. I can upload one for the vice as well. The pics in the journal can be enlarged. There are a bunch for the welding bench in all phases opf construction. Also, there are a bunch of pics from Gene Winfields shop. TONS of ideas there, for home built stuff.

Jeff

·
Registered
457 Posts
Metalmeet.com has a section for homebuit equipment which is really interesting....awesome site. I got a cataloge from Lindsay books which has a lot of Gingery books for sale in it. (and some ultra-strange stuff too)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gearhead forever said:
Metalmeet.com has a section for homebuit equipment which is really interesting....awesome site. I got a cataloge from Lindsay books which has a lot of Gingery books for sale in it. (and some ultra-strange stuff too)
I have to agree it's a cool site. only wish they had more pictures to look and and make some stuff.:p

·
Almost an old guy...
180 Posts
Here's some of my projects, this is my most used and my favorite, it has turned my shop into a winter heaven! A guy at work gave me the diamond plate, I have about $150 in the whole thing including the pipe out and all. Heats a 30 X 36 building no problem in the winter with 15' ceilings, wish I would have built it years ago!

Attachments

·
Almost an old guy...
180 Posts
Someone wanted to see a grinder stand, well here's mine, made totaly from scrap, rear rotor from my Silverado, some 1 1/4 square and some angle. Works just fine, is portable, and took me 15 minutes to make it and cost nothing, I love it when a plan comes together :)

Attachments

·
The Big Money
383 Posts
Thats a great grinder stand. I am going to make one after I build my engine craddle, never thought of using a rotor. Was planning on using a tire and a rim

·
Almost an old guy...
180 Posts
Thanks Charlie,
Nothing better than having a scrap pile outside the shop, seems like half of what I throw in there comes back out to be used somehow. I just got lucky too, found a local place that sells "used" steel, for $.30 a pound. Considering I had to cut banding off of the angle I bought and it hadn't rusted yet I'm wondering if the place is more like stolen steel :) So more projects on the way :) What to build next :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Better Late Than Never....

Mag said:
I also make a cycle lift. All of the ones that I could find for sale were portable, but not with the bike in place. Considering my wife's insistence on parking her car where my bike should be, this was a necessity. The end pieces are attached with only four bolts each. It only takes a few min to put them in place or remove them. One end is operated by a scissor jack, and the other uses a trailer jack to allow some steering.
That Looks Rather Interesting... Nice Design!

·
Registered
75 Posts
9"

Well I saw this one in Jeggs. Its a stand to bolt to the front of your 9" and place the larger pipe int your floor jack. Then instead of breaking your back you use the jack to do all the hard lifting. I know some of you might be like the wife and ask"why not just buy it?". Well I can say I made it LOL.

Attachments

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
This is a shop light I fab'd up from junk laying around the shop.
It looks kinda flimsy but it's really quite stable.
It pivots on all the joints,light will turn to face the mast,will raise up high or rotate to just a few inchs above the floor for under car work.
I've made a couple of saftey upgrades for the bulbs. :eek:

My MOPAR valve spring tool.

an engine stand pan for the Sams/Goodyear units. Made from 22ga.s'metal.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Here is a picture of a engine hoist a friend of mine built back in the 60's. Several years ago he decided to sell it and I jumped all over it($100 bucks). I would like to have a dollar for every thing it has picked up that is not car related. One of the neat things of this engine hoist is you can lean it behind your truck and pull it. It don't even bounce at 70mph. The down fall is the front weals will not fit under a car en less on jack stands. Up side pull engine out of a F-150 with 33's on it and never took the tiers off.

61 - 80 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.