Hot Rod Forum banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
jbon64
46 Posts
i saw a few questions about grinder stands . i work for a cable tv company and jumped at the chance to snag a post used for a dish (not a DTV dish, a real honest to goodness commercial 20ft dish ) . it has 3/8 thick 18"x18" square base and an 8" x 1/4 thick pipe , i cut it at a 40" height and mounted my grinder and belt sander on it . i also break down the reels the conduit is rolled up on . they are made from 1 1/2 square tube , the company that supply's the conduit doesnt take the reels back in trade , so you can imagine my joy when i walked up to see the boss scratching his head wondering how the heck are we gonna get rid of this stuff . i have made all kinds of stuff from those reels . right now i'm in the process of making an engine run stand .

·
DETAILING GOD
4,266 Posts
Hey Y'all
I'll try to keep it to the short...

About 7 years ago I worked for a place that I had the artistic freedom and a really stoned out boss man that afforded me the opportunity to do stuff like this,

The problem was that he owned a retirement Mobile home park and had no way to move the trailers into or out of the park since there way paved road and un paved.

meaning a Mobile home toter would get stuck in the sugar sand and a bull dozer isn't good for pavement....... NO ONE with in 250 mile radius had such a thing.

So I invented, designed,engineered fabricated and constructed this monster.

( had to sell the Idea to the boss toT) not hard to do when he smoked the good stuff :mwink:

So I had noticed when I did a repair the the back hoe detached off.
1971 case 580 CKB? BACK HOE /LOADER
so its a 12 Volt electric over hydraulic pump double push with a 4" bore 4' stroke detachable stinger .

In theory I knew it would work but there was about 15% of me that was unsure I thought the machine might wheelie and have to use the bucket for a counter weight but it would tote a 80' er no problem.

I made a his and hers receiver for the slide and I made a stand to put it on when not in use

These picture are the only ones left thanks to a virus on a old puter I thought they were gone for ever!!!

I Quit there shortly after because of health and money reasons and only got to use it a few times never got to paint it either never got to weigh it either.

I'd go back there and swallow my pride just to see if the didn't tare it up and leave it in the woods somewhere but I don't want to see it that bad.

Those numb nuts could screw up a wet dream..I got tired of performing miracles and being on call 24/7/365 about killed me those were the days of working 16 hours 7 days aweek :spank:.

I did alot of other stuff but dont remember right now...

But that was a real confidence builder but I always had this as my motto.

Now my custom stinger is preserved for ever on the net.

Any comments or questions?

SR66 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can anyone enhance these photos to bring up the details?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Fabbed the torch cart up recently, the blaster was a few years ago. I made my own cart because I have little space, some spare materials, and don't like chained down bottles (Sure I could have used a bungee cord to keep them from slopping around) (Posted this pic on another site too)

Now for a cutting / welding / chop saw table, a blast cabinet and some rolling and bending gear. etc, etc. Finish the truck?? oh yeah, I better get to that too.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm made this,

Right now its all ripped apart again and I'm turbo charging it and fuel injecting it. I'm also build tubeular trailing arms and replacing the sheet metal motor arms. I have to do quite abit of fabrication for the turbo manifold, i'll get some pics of the engine this weekend

Brendan

·
Almost an old guy...
180 Posts
Made some car dollies today, wish I would have done it years ago. It's a one hand push around the shop now, no more grunting and cussin!

Got the casters here http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005120215231571&item=1-2746&catname=trailer
For $3 each they are some heavy duty suckers, probably rated 1000# each.

Built one of those roll around storage stands for my spare SBC, at least now I can roll it around. Been a good day :)

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
nissan

do your own powder coating, get an electric range, coating system at sears $160.00, 2# samples of powder free from dupont,sherwin williams,cardinal,tiger drylac,etc.1# covers 30 sq.ft.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is my cart that I made from 14ga., it will hold a tank!
When I used to fix fork trucks for a living I used it to do major overhauls..
Now in my basement for my car, I welded some 1" X 1-1/2 tubing to it for a chop saw table and plasma cart... This thing is one of the handiest do-dads I have! Note the 1" flanges to keep things from rolling off and the heavy duty casters..

Attachments

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
An old troubleshooting tool

You have an engine cylinder that is not as strong as the rest, and you have determined that it is getting spark, but something is wrong internally. A simple tool that can sometimes locate the fault is the following: Take an old spark plug that fits the engine and remove all of the porcelan and the center electrode leaving just the outer shell. Braze an air fitting into the shell. Now, turn the engine over untill the piston in the suspect cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. Insert the modified plug and apply 60-80 psi air to the cylinder. You want enough air to follow through the proceedure but not enough to turn the engine. With air pressure in the cylinder, listen: 1. If you hear air bubbles it may be a leaking head gasket. 2. If you hear air in the exhaust, it may be a leaking exhaust valve. 3. Air coming up through the carb , it may be a leaking intake valve. 4. Ahissing from the oil fill tube or dipstick tube would indicate a piston or piston ring problem. This simple homemade device can save a lot of time in diagnosing a problem.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
Its Old School or Shade Tree, LOL, whatever you want to call it, but I have used it for years and it has helped me a lot. ;)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I don't have any neat, ingenious time-saver, just a fairly crude hoist frame. I needed something that would be free-standing, be easy to take apart and transport and stand indefinitely with or without a load on it. A kind of a knock-down swingset looking thing made out of 2 different diameters of pipe is what I came up with.

Photo 1 is pretty much the key to the thing. The outside diameter of the black 2" schedule 80 pipe is a fuzz less than the inside diameter of the rusty-looking pipe.

Photo 2 shows how they fit together. Each black pipe is 10 ft. long.

Photo 3 shows a junk engine swinging from the center. I expected some slight flexing of the horizontal pipe, but it didn't budge. With the legs spread about 12 ft apart, it just fits under an 8 ft. ceiling. The pipes slip back out for other uses. If I were using it on concrete, I'd weld feet on the pipes and run a chain across the bottom of each triangle so the legs couldn't spread after setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Henry Highrise said:
Take an old spark plug that fits the engine and remove all of the porcelan and the center electrode leaving just the outer shell. Braze an air fitting into the shell.
Also very useful for replacing valve guide seals without dropping the valve into the cylinder... :sweat:

·
Bob
49 Posts
Hey guy's, Yeah the spark plug tool is great thing to have around, I've had one in my tool box for ever. A shop I worked in,the owner made one for each of the guy's to put in their tool box's. That was 30 years ago.. :cool:

·
Just stuck
435 Posts
JR, your blower is pulling too many amps because it's not restricted. Other words, it's out in the open and isn't blowing through any ductwork anymore so the fan is allowed to draw a full gulp of air so to speak. If you restrict the intake or the discharce some, it'll actually let the motor to unload a bit and draw less amps and run cooler. It will even speed up a bit. If you had an amp meter to check the draw, you could tweak it to run in it's sweet spot and it should quit overheating and run continuously. I know this is an old thread but there's great stuff here! My dad made a grinder base from what I believe is a 30" 150 lb flange for the base, 4" square tube. He also has a vise mounted the same way on another flange. He weld 3 nuts on the bottow so they would not rock if they ended up on any unlevel floor. You can use a heavy duty dolly or pulled them over and just roll them to a new spot. Either way, they are not too easy to move. Maybe I can get pics later. He also built a work platform (he calls it a skid) made from 1/2" plate and welded it to 2 4" square tube runners then welded various studs to the plate for bolting on his tire changer and tube bender. If it needs to be moved, he drags it with the garden tractor. He plans on putting wheels on it soon to make it easier to move.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts