Hot Rod Forum banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't have pictures of it, but I've got a cleaning/assembly "table" that I can throw together in a couple minutes: Pair of folding sawhorses, 2' x 4' sheet of 3/4" plywood for the top, a metal drip-pan with a hole drilled in one corner, a length of 2x4 to raise one end of the table (to direct junk/dirt/fluid towards the hole), and a bucket on the floor to catch the run-off. Used this to clean, strip and rebuild a th350 no problems. Hmm, might see if it's strong enough for a bare SBC block . . .

Also made my own spring compressor for the th350 - length of 1" square tube, some 3/8-16 all-thread, 1/4" x 1" hot rolled formed into a U-shape and a couple nuts and washers.

Made some stuff to help fill/drain a carb bowl with fuel. Short length of exhaust pipe and formed sheet metal to make a flat-bottomed ladle (with spout). The handle also helps to drain a Holley fuel bowl - stick the end of the handle under a screw and let the fuel drip into the handle and down into the cup part. Second piece is funnel out of a short length of 3/16" brake line and more sheet metal formed into a crude cone. Slides right down the vent tube.

- Mike

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
here is a quick paint boot that has work amazingly well, I am using a blower from an AC air handler, it is rated at 3 tons. The duct is 12 inches this thing is working like a down draft booth. Yes the filters are at floor level but the blower pulls air across the floor and I am getting NO trash in the paint .. just another way to make a booth, but I think this is the first one I have seen or heard of using an AC blower.
One more comment ........... Iwata paint guns ......... a painter it makes.

I will add this if you are a home builder and find a color that is 400 - 600 a gallon, from where I stand go and plunk down 400 more and buy an Iwata you will NEVER be sorry you did. The gun puts the paint on the parts and not out the vent and down the duct... A very worth while tool....

And no I did not buy 400 -600 a gallon paint

Attachments

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
hand tools

I got paid $ 50 to remove a one ton rated southworth 4 ft by 4 ft lift table ,, when i built the new shop I welded up an angle iron frame and recessed it so when it is down it is flush with the floor. I cut square holes around the edge and welded in the mini receirver trailer hitch tubing some square and others at various angles. I welded square tubing to 5 x 6 flat plates an bolted on a vice, pipe vice, hossfiels bender, small brake, bead roller. planishing hammer etc ,,, just push a button to raise it to working height and pick the spot to work... it goes high enough to line up with my 5 x 7 roll around work table

·
Semper Gumby
375 Posts
Whatdidja make?

Here's a couple of oldies but goodies

An old propane BBQ cart (with the BBQ removed) makes a handy roll-around for a MIG welder, complete with lower shelf for stuff" and a fabbed-together holder for the bottle

Another old BBQ cart will serve well as place to put your parts washer and even has selves on both sides for "dirty" and "cleaned" parts. pull the junk BBQ off and screw on a chunk of plywood (cut to fit) to hold the washer

I mounted my bench grinder onto a piece of scrap 1/8 inch steel plate. A couple of holes in the plate let me hang it on the wall out of the way when not in use, and a couple of "C" clamps hold it to the bench when I need to use it.

I welded "tongues" onto the front of my ramps - they stick out about a foot so the weight of the car is on the tongues, holding them in place as the wheels start to climb the ramps - no "skitter away" happening

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Steve, that shop of yours is too clean. I don't see an oil stain anywhere....

Really, nice job on the crane. 4 by 4's I presume?

In a while, Chet.

·
just passin' thru
323 Posts
Thanks Chet. The shop is fairly new, and the epoxy floor cleans up real easy. I haven't even had time to install the cabinets/workbenches yet...The gantry was made out of an S6x12.5 beam with 4x4x1/4" square steel "sleeves" for the 4x4 pressure treated posts.

·
DETAILING GOD
4,266 Posts
Updated Pixs of my home made commercial swimming pool filter housing turned into pressurized sand blaster tank.

I threw this together many years ago & now will attempt to finish it .(because I need to use it }

I will have to so a bit more fabricating.

I wonder how much these wheels will hold?

I know the drum will hold 800+lbs of sand.

I could use some imput on how to make a sand cut off valve {a plastic ball valve worked once} :rolleyes:

R :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,325 Posts
I had never seen this thread, some great stuff! I don't have any big tools but will fashion ones all the time for the imeatiate job. They usually get tossed some where to be forgotten about so I couldn't find anymore right now. This one is one of my favorites. It is a pair of vice grips that I modified to correct the fender weld body line when I was metal finishing some Model A fenders. I made a chisel out of a 24 Buick Roadster windshield post to work in conjunction with the vice grips. It is at work, and I actually use it often.

The other one is an old favorite, jack stands made from an old V8 Ford rear end axle housing. :)

Brian

·
Registered
94 Posts
A couple of years ago when I started traveling regularly I built a garbage cart for my wife to get the carts to the road and back. This week I finally got around to painting it. And since I'm playing around with learning pinstriping I went ahead and give it the old school striping treatment. The striping Looks like *** in places but it's a start. It didn't help that the dog rubbed against it while the striping was still wet.

·
Steel Dreams
323 Posts
Here are a few things that I made over the years..........
pics 1&2 TIG welder, very similar to one that was posted on this web site.
#3 Hyd bottle jack brake & press
#4 holder to remove large brake drums from medium duty trucks
#5 16 inch panel & bracket brake
#6&7 Abor press for angle brackets
#8&9 ring roller
#3,5,6,7,8 and 9 were built when I worked in a race car frame and body fab shop, I worked in the back of the building and all the forming tools were up at the front of the building and I got tired of taking all the stuff that I was working and hauling it back and forth, so I built the smaller stuff that I needed and put it in my end of the place. They became so poplar with the other people that worked in the shop that when I got ready to leave the place the owner didn't want me to take the stuff with me, I said fine buy them from me ,he didn't so I took them home. I still use them periodicity and plan on using them alot when I retire.

Later
Kenny

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Shelby1 said:
Here are a few things that I made over the years..........

#8&9 ring roller
Later
Kenny
Whatd'ja use for the rollers themselves? They almost look like older serpentine belt idler pulleys?

I just might have to copy that :thumbup:

- Mike

·
Steel Dreams
323 Posts
Brimstone said:
Whatd'ja use for the rollers themselves? They almost look like older serpentine belt idler pulleys?

I just might have to copy that :thumbup:

- Mike
Mike the rollers are from a hyd engine puller they are steel the mount holes were worn real bad ,so they were pulled and replaced and these were thrown it the scrap ,I drilled the holes out to the size bolt that is used to mount them to the u channel, the one that is on the roller handle I cut the whole inside out and used a chain sprocket that I cut the teeth off of and ground the outside off till it fit in side of the roller. I did this because the shaft and the sprocket already had key ways in them.Every thing on this ring roller came from the scrap bin.Hope this helps.

Good Luck
Kenny

121 - 140 of 156 Posts