Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ! As i have stated in the lounge , I bought a 1965 Ford 350 with original 351 engine . I took off the breather cover and got covered in oil ! An old fart from down the road came up and had a look at it and called it an oil bath! What is that? I haven't come across one before and i have no idea of how they work . Could someone please explain to me the simplicity of this? Im sure its not complicated i have just never seen one before.

Pup

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
A oil bath air cleaner was used soaked in oil so the oil would act as a clinging agent for dust to stick to, there is more to it, but you get the idea. This practice is still used on foam air cleaners on some 5 horse engines and etc.

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok . I get the idea but this was full of oil . i mean it spewed out when i took the breather cover off. Does this mean there was too much oil in it? Can you still purchase these types of air filters ? or can i just replace it with a normal air filter?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Yes, just like old tractors, there is a "fill to line" on the side and the sump holds about a quart of oil. These are common filters on industrial and farm tractors. Used on some cars into the late fifties.

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So getting back to my original Question . Can I just put a n ormal air filter in it ? Can I buy an oil bath filter still ? Man this sucker is wayyyyyyy before my time! Well actually not really .. it was made the year i was born but im still lost!

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
A regular air filter is a good idea, you may have trouble finding one that will fit the original can, a good reason to buy that neat aftermarket one to dress things up under the hood.:thumbup:

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
An "Oil Bath" filter is a canister that would hold some oil. The air would come in the top of the housing and be forced down onto the oil surface. Any debris would stick in the oil. Used a lot in the 50s. Not a very good system, get rid of it, unless you are going for originality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.