Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
This flywheel was resurfaced 8 mile ago. Yup 8 miles on the flywheel with a new 11" clutch and pressure plate. Clutch was chattering in reverse and 1st gear so I pulled it apart and found this. Mounted on a 283 Chevy motor.
That is a terrible machining job the finish is not good enough, I'd check for runout may have also ben machined out of parallel.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If this flywheel was bad to begin with then machined incorrectly, this is the result in short order, especially if the car is geared like a rubber band.
Yes sir, flywheel apparently was not a good choice to resurface. Looked fine when I got it back, but those looks were only on the surface. Lesson learned. New flywheel cost was worth it based on current machine shop costs and the time it takes to replace a bad one. Gearing is a wide ratio 4 speed (2.52:1 first) and a 3.36 posi rear.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I run the same transmission and a 3.89 rear gear. I had the flywheel resurfaced, but it looked good as it was. I've used old flywheels as is on the street without being cut. But whoever did it should have picked up a serious heat check condition and let you know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I run the same transmission and a 3.89 rear gear. I had the flywheel resurfaced, but it looked good as it was. I've used old flywheels as is on the street without being cut. But whoever did it should have picked up a serious heat check condition and let you know.
I've turned them on a brake lathe before then used a DA sander with 120 grit to get a non-directional finish. Not the best way, but if the heat spots caused the tooling to chatter, forget it. A surface grinder may not even make it right. As noted, these days a new flywheel is the best money spent.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts