Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Duck Tape & WD 40
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this may be kind of long so... Okay on Saturday I went to my friends house, about 3:00 pm my mom shows up saying that my grandmothers car broke down, ( the reason that this is a bad thing is because I am going to sell the car because she needs money because my grandfather died) well me and my mom go to where grammy said she was I tried the car and It went fine so I drove it down the road maybe about a mile or so then it was as if I put the transmission in neutral while I was rtying to go, I then shut the car off for about 3-4 minutes then tried it again and it worked for about another mile or so and then did the same thing, It also did not want to shift. Every time I tried it it kept doing it after we got a little ways. I have checked the fluid and its fine. the transmission just had all new gaskets and seals put in it. I was wondering If it could just be the filter or something that would be somewhat cheap to fix so that I could get more money out of it. The car is a 1996 Ford (dont laugh) Aspire

·
Duck Tape & WD 40
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know who did it. It was probably 4 or 5 months ago that they did the work so I doubt that its still under warranty

·
Administrator
18,432 Posts
Sounds like, whoever worked on the tranny didn't do something right. Maybe, they didn't tighten the filter bolt and it fell off.....

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Now did you check the fluid while the car was on? Like your supposed too?

I have the same problem with this 87 dodge lancer I let my mother drive. Everytime she calls me up and says, "It's starting to slip again" I just laugh and ask if she checked the fluid, she always says yes, then I add "with the engine on?" I always get a no. After she goes out, starts the car up, leaves it running for a minute, there wont be any fluid in the pan. Can't seem to beat it into her head that the trans sucks up the fluid when the car is on, and to check the fluid when it is ON.

Anyway, yeah seme problem, no fluid in the pan, take a turn or accelerate and it goes into neutral. Just check the fluid level with the engine on, I bet it will be empty. Or the filter has fallen off. If the filter has fallen off, you will need to drop the transmission pan.

·
Administrator
9,801 Posts
Silentlion_69 said:
some help people? please
Was the tranny rebuilt? You mention gasket & seals replaced.

You don't know if there is a warranty? I'd call and find out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts