Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After really paying attention to this for the last few months, I'm really a bit lost on the algorithm that they are using. There are posts in this section with dating of years ago to minutes - not really what I would call a normal forum "new posts" category.

What are the rest of you using to find recent posts?

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Ever since the change to this forum it seems to me like a graveyard every time I look here to see what new posts have been put up. I don't do anything to search for stuff but I just click on the different pages and look to see if anything new is here and that is it for me. I have had posts I have been subscribed to and never have gotten any notifications that there was new comments on them. Ten years ago this forum was very active but now it has changed and with the new format it seems to have made things worse but I don't know for sure.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ever since the change to this forum it seems to me like a graveyard every time I look here to see what new posts have been put up. I don't do anything to search for stuff but I just click on the different pages and look to see if anything new is here and that is it for me. I have had posts I have been subscribed to and never have gotten any notifications that there was new comments on them. Ten years ago this forum was very active but now it has changed and with the new format it seems to have made things worse but I don't know for sure.
I agree. I used to haunt this place for years before I ever joined it but the takeover seems to have put a major dent in it. Just from comments I can tell that a lot of people were upset and angry at losing their project portfolios. And the administration simply didn't seem to really care about doing any kind of recovery for those people. My guess is that most of the people that come here now whether it is on a computer, pad or phone have learned how to block the advertising so I have to seriously doubt if they are providing true viewing numbers to any organization paying to be shown here.
I was originally very excited about the change as it seemed on the old site there were continual problems stemming from not keeping the software updated, but I have to admit that this is now looking like it was really handled wrong.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
Yeah, I've been around since about 2005 and this is just weird. I left about 6 years ago because there were some caustic members pooping where they eat. I started hanging out again about the time it went to this format.

I more or less just hit the "what's new" and see if there are any topics that I can help with or know something about, but it's been strange. I'll check in maybe once a day at lunch and I see like 6 updated topics.

The number of VS type forums that have gone belly-up after they took on the format is pretty frightening. Hope that doesn't happen here.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,982 Posts
Yeah, I've been around since about 2005 and this is just weird. I left about 6 years ago because there were some caustic members pooping where they eat. I started hanging out again about the time it went to this format.

I more or less just hit the "what's new" and see if there are any topics that I can help with or know something about, but it's been strange. I'll check in maybe once a day at lunch and I see like 6 updated topics.

The number of VS type forums that have gone belly-up after they took on the format is pretty frightening. Hope that doesn't happen here.
If guys keep posting, things will be fine.

A lot of guys whine about stuff and leave. Things change, adapt.
Not a big deal.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, its not a big deal but how many times can you keep responding to an HEI issue or my old carb spits and puffs? There's a handful of guys here still building something, still fabricating something but the rest of them, if it isn't in a parts catalog then it's game over. There's more than a few that think changing out spark plugs on their hot rod is just too much work to endure. They would probably have a coronary knowing that most the newer stuff requires an intake gasket along with that set of plugs.

·
6,303 Posts
I used to be a moderator at another forum. It used to be pretty awesome, but these days it seems to be mostly populated with 15 year olds asking about blinker fluid and rimzzz. All forums have their life cycle it seems.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,643 Posts
the "recommended reading" at the bottom of each thread should be eliminated
members see that and click on threads to answer not noticing the thread is from 2003 🤦‍♂️

sorry guys, i like the new format. the few forums that have not gone to this drive me nuts
answer a post and you have to click back many times with the old format
i'm normally on a pc but use a tablet when traveling, new format is phone/tablet friendly

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,643 Posts
nothing google, apple or microsoft isn't already doing to you
i didn't give any info to sign up and use an ad blocker
not sure what "data" they can get from this ogre

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
Just saw this thread.
According to my sources at VS, the format change had to be made as the vBulletin format could not be updated anymore. It was too much of a mess. To me the new format is much easier to use, your opinion may differ.
I am no tech wizard, but I think that VS could have saved more of the saved files than they did. Many lost their project journals and many WIKI files are lost also.......We staff also lost a bunch of permissions to help members out, but Que Sera, Sera......I believe that the almighty advertising dollar is the more important thing to them, but that seems to be the way it is these days all over. It's all about the moolah..........

·
6,303 Posts
nothing google, apple or microsoft isn't already doing to you
i didn't give any info to sign up and use an ad blocker
not sure what "data" they can get from this ogre
True regarding those big tech companies.
Read through VS's user agreements. By logging in here, you have given them carte blanche to read your browser history, your personal information, pretty much your entire hard drive... which, since you're connected to the internet, it also can track what you watched last night on Netflix, keywords that you said near your computer or AI device.

It's not about what information you gave them, it's about the permission you gave them to take your information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.