Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I put up the tools against$300
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 87 corvette automatic with 146k miles. Last night A friend of mine wanted to drive it and I said ok. I noticed a jingling noise when he drove away similar to a chain being drug across the ground. When he got back I got in it to see if I could hear it. With the doors shut I couldn't hear anything so I opened the drivers door and revved the engine a little. I couldnt recreate the noise with the car in park like I heard for several seconds as he drove away. I could however hear it when I mashed the gas for about a quarter of a second. I couldnt pin point where it was coming from. It almost sounded like more of a vibration than a loose part clanking around. I thought it was suspension related but crossed that out when I heard it while the car was in park. My best guess is some wierd resonance from the exhaust making something rattle. Anybody got an idea?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Loose torque converter bolt? I know loose bolts in that area can make a strange ringing sort of sound if the other bolts are tight enough to keep the converter/flexplate/flywheel/pressure plate from rattling.

Chris

·
Registered
169 Posts
I firmly agree. All automatic transmission corvettes, camaros (and chevelles, novas, and el caminos) are a factory error. Personally, I am forced to assume that there was a consistent shortage of manual transmissions at the GM plants, and the pressures to keep the assembly line rolling resulted in the installation of automatic transmissions...

And so, I think that whenever we have a chance, we need to correct the error.

Heck, I'm sorely tempted to swap the auto in my caprice out for either a NP 4 speed or a T5...

Chris

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Are you sure its not detonation? That makes a tingly, rattley sound under load. What gas are you using in it?

Just a thought..............

·
Registered
169 Posts
DaSouthWon said he was getting the noise with the car in park, and if there is detonation in park, it would sound like a ball peen hammer on the block under load...

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
He said....."I couldnt recreate the noise with the car in park like I heard for several seconds as he drove away. "

That was my hint that it may be detonation.

·
I put up the tools against$300
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I filled it up when I got it with 93. It had been sitting for about 2 years, the tank was about half full with old gas when I filled it up. I then drove it down to about a quarter of a tank, refilled it with 93 and added an "octane booster" against my better judgement. The jingling started after I filled it up the second time. I haven't had it long.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some poor sap brought a freind of mine a pick up with a rattling sound that would make an even bigger sound when you hit the gas or hit the brakes. Turns out he had a full beer bottle rolling around under the seat. My buddy charged him nothing and just told him it was a loose part and just tightened it as a courtesy.

anyways heat sheilds is a good place to start... and dont forget the silly stuff, on just the right day something silly can drive you nuts. Only to say dugh why didn't I think of that.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Shouldn't ping on 93 octane gas.

Sitting 2 years, it could also be that the muffler is rusted inside..........pieces rattling around........although that kind of stuff should be noticable in neutral too.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
You might want to check your u-joints as well. Check the center caps on all your wheels as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.