Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
two cups of tea
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a set of elderbrock headers on my sbc last week someone tryd to steal my rims I didn't know all of my lug nuts had been loosend&A wheel came off while driving,I looked umder the car exhaust seems fine but there a strange sound coming from the headers the sound real rough now when I rev the engine up it sounds like it wants to backfire,any ideas?...sorry if I don't sound real experinced I'm only 16

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
Bummer about the wheel falling off.

If it was a front, it coulda smooshed the exhaust enough to crack it, of if the headers are long-tube (collectors under the car) it could have ripped the sealing flanges loose thus taking out a gasket. Just a guess.

Better check things out.

·
It's a Chrysler, not a Ford
38 Posts
Sorry about the wheels, a friend of mine one time was test driving a `69 Corvette conv with a 427 tripower and the same thing happened to him, this happened back in `81 when the going price for the Vette was $15k.

I'm thinking the same thing, check the donut or the bolts that hole the headers to the block. I used to have a `62 CJ5 Jeep with a 383 sbc and a header flange bolt kept backing out and would create a rough idle and backfire. I finally had to safety wire the bolts on.
Jim

Attachments

·
two cups of tea
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys!&it was the rear drivers side,but I have to rebuild my carb&put on a new intake gasket&valve gaskets so I'm gonna take the headers off check em&replace the gaskets on em hopefully I don't find no cracks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.