Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my own box plates for my '50 pickup frame. I made them to fit snug into the frame where I have to "tap" them into the frame with a hammer. What would be the best way to weld them in, should I weld the whole complete length of the plate to the frame (stich welding to avoid warpage), or would welding every six inches or so be strong enough? Also, I made my own boxed C-notches for the rear and have 33/21.50/15 tires so I will be moving the C-notches toward the center (narrowing the frame in that area) so the tires will fit under the fenders. Would it be wise to use a 3x6 crossmember and cut out 2 squares to slide the front of the C-notch into and weld them (the original crossmember will be to low) or would butt welding the C-notch to the crossmember be strong enough? Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
if ur going to notch the rear

the best thing to actually do is get 1/4 sheet and make the notch in 4 peices

cut your 4 side peices out long enough to weld over the existing frame then make ur top peice and weld it on weld all of the peices solid before cutting out the frame then u simply notch and make ur bottom peice to fit over where u cut the stock frame

basicly what im saying is ur two side peices should overlap the existing frame but welding is gonna cut it theres alot of stress back there that will break welds

i wish i had my old pics i could show you :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Butt welding any main frame member isn't a good idea. There should always be an overlap of some kind like a fish plate.

6" of weld alternated w/ 6" of blank along a boxing plate is fine. Solid weld is desirable if you plan on having the frame judged in shows and want max points. Otherwise staggered welds are plenty strong enough. You can also cut round holes in the fish plates as big as 12" smaller than the frame height and 12" apart and not affect strength at all. Makes it much easier to access stuff you stuff through the rails like wiring and fuel lines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.