Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right kids, what the heck is the deal with silver metallic paint? I have painted several cars in the past with a pretty good success rate until now.....
I painted a truck yesterday and it looked ok until I rolled it into the sun today! You can see every spray pattern, every pass, everything!!
My question is will these patterns color sand out? It has three good coats of acrylic-enamel (PPG DelStar) applied about 25 minutes apart. I was thinking of hitting it with wet 2000 – 2500 then some Meguiar’s #7 Glaze. I am sure this will give me a deep gloss but will it remove the weird spray patterns?
Thanks! You Guys Rock!!

-Max

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to knock it down a little today and see what it looks like. Worst case, I'll fog another coat on and see what it looks like. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I color sanded a test area and had no luck. The colors vary worse the deeper I go. So... what now? I guess one more coat won't hurt things? From the suggestions, I gather one wet coat and light fog will sort things out. I think I can expect some orange peel with the fog coat but it must be better than tiger stripes! Any suggestions on prep for this next coat four days later?
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Out of my life...

I just thought I'd say thanks for all the help. I ended up fogging the silver and applying a clear coat. It turned out so nice, I sold the truck only a few weeks after I finished.

Thanks again!

-Max

1 - 4 of 3 Posts