Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
it's a micro plastic pearl. in a titainium base i think? we use house of colors at the shop I work at i'll have to find out exactly.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
I've always called it ghosting?
Those hard to paint metalics can sometimes give you problems until you get it figured out then it's easy.

I lay on a good wet coat that is a little over reduced,use a slow thinner, increase the pressure, and increase the distance from the surface. The last coat is like the first only more so, using more of a fogging pattern.

Be sure and check the spec sheets for the correct re coat time and procedure.

HTH

Troy:thumbup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Out of my life...

I just thought I'd say thanks for all the help. I ended up fogging the silver and applying a clear coat. It turned out so nice, I sold the truck only a few weeks after I finished.

Thanks again!

-Max

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Something that has worked for me is painting at a 45 degree angle to your normal horizontal movement. Used this method on on several Chrysler products. Worked real well. Helps to keep the metallics in place.
Reisart...not to dispute but curious. Would this not cause striping of the metallic due to the fact that the bottom of the spray pattern is hitting heavier than the top of the spray pattern? I have always sprayed 90 degrees to the surface and pulled back, widened the pattern and fogged on the lighter metallics. Just curious as to how it evens the lay of the flake.

Kevin

21 - 25 of 25 Posts