Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 95 mustang gt. a friend of mine told me that id the plastic around the tail lights is black its a GTS. not sure if he knows what hes talking about. i figured there wouold be alot more to it then the tail lights visibaly

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Taken from Stangnet.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hillie's GTS Mustang Site

I own a 1995 Mustang GTS. It is one of only 1,002 Deep Forest Green GTS models produced. 1 of only 407 with the same color/tranny combo. Only 6,370 GTS Mustangs were sold to the public, and only in 1995. The only modifications so far are Ford Motorsport 3:73 gears, Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds, MAC CAI, B&M Ripper shifter, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda race pedals and floormats, SpeedGlo gauges, Accel distributor cap and rotor, Steeda 8mm wires, 2001 Bullit brake upgrade and wheels, a Saleen rear bumper, and advanced timing. I also own a 1989 351 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer Edition and a 99 ZX2. Most of the GTS info on this site was provided to me (and used with permission from) by Corey Quan, www.quannet.org, and Steve Natale, (stvdman). Thanks to both for their help and info!

A Mustang GTS?

Most people look at me like I'm crazy when I say I have a GTS. They ask, " Don't you mean GT?". Then I have to give the long explanation, No, I DO mean GTS, they only made them in 1995...yadda yadda yadda.

The Mustang GTS- When less is really more!

Mustang enthusiasts are familiar with the SN-95 Mustang Cobra and the speciality vehicles produced by Saleen, Steeda, Roush and a few others. Some are even aware of the turbocharged 4 cylinder SVO Mustang's of the mid 80's. True rarity of these cars is not dictated by how many people are aware of their existence or how much money is needed to put one into an owners garage. Rarity is based on uniqueness and production numbers. The Mustang GTS is a prime example of these qualities.

What exactly is a Mustang GTS? To make it simple, think of it as a throwback to the old Mustang LX's of the pre-SN-95 era. GTS' came standard with the basic equipment that made a Mustang a GT. This included the HO 302cid pushrod V-8 powerplant, Borg-Warner T-5 manual transmission and a Traction-Lok axle. Obvious external characteristics of a GTS are the absence of a rear decklid spoiler, lack of fog lamps in the front airdam and 16"x7" 5 spoke SN-95 "waffle" pony rims. Factory original GTS' will have the "Mustang GT" logo embossed on the rear bumper cover, as is the case on standard GT's, and "Mustang GT" badging on the front fenders. Dual 2.25" stainless steel tail pipes exit the back.

Inside the passenger compartment the GTS Mustang shares the same amenities as the base V-6 Mustang. Seats are cloth and only the drivers side, 4-way power adjustable is an option. Windows and door locks are manual. Only the driver and passenger side mirrors are powered. Air conditioning and an AM/FM stereo cassette player are standard. Visor mirrors are non-illuminated, as opposed to illuminated like the GT and convertible Mustang's. The instrument pod is the only interior amenity borrowed from the GT (7000rpm redline tach, 150mph speedometer, fuel, volt, oil, and temp gauges.)
As a side note, all options on V6 models were also available on the GTS. These options are easily broken down into two categories. Package Group 1 consisted of power windows, door locks and remote decklid release(standard on GT and convertible.) Group 2 consisted of cruise control, dual illuminated visor mirrors (standard on GT and convertible) and AM/FM stereo cassette player with premium sound. 4-wheel antilock brakes, an AODE transmission*, and remote keyless entry* were also options. Customers were able to order GTS' from the factory with as little or as many options as they wanted. Options were also available at the dealer, on request of the purchaser.
Ford did away with the GTS designation in 1996, with 1995 being the only year a true GTS model existed, replacing it with the 248A option package, which deleted many things from the car and made it comperable to the GTS. This package continued to be offered until the end of the 1998 model year. As of late, Ford does not plan to offer a stripped version of the current Mustang GT

When I bought MY GTS...

When I bought the car, I had seen a few GT's without the spoiler before, and thought to myself "Why would you even buy a GT without a spoiler?" I bought mine in '99 from a Nissan dealership that couldn't wait to get rid of it, I had looked at it almost FOUR MONTHS prior. I was working several part time jobs. I then got hired full time for the police department I work for now, which meant a big pay increase, and started looking around with plans to buy a WS6 Trans Am. I couldn't find one even close to my price range though. I was looking at a yellow (I LOVE the yellow Mustangs) 98 GT convertible right down the road from the Nissan dealership, and I figured I would swing by on the off chance that they still had it because I wanted the 5.0 over the 4.6. I've never done any work on OHC engines before and I knew I would be modding whichever one I bought. Lo and behold it was still there!!! I decided I would get a better look at it, and realised it didn't have the spoiler and my thoughts were that it would be the first thing I bought for the car. So I traded in my Ranger and brought home my baby. I ended up at Stangnet.com and was talking to a few people there who said since my car didn't have a spoiler it was probably a GTS. Since then I've looked for as much GTS info as I could and not only did I not buy a spoiler , I like it better that way now LOL. >

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That should epxlain it to ya.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.