Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
For general information.

Bear in mind that this information does not apply to all 302 cube Ford engines, whether called "302" or 5.0.

There are 302s with heavy crankshafts 28 oz/in. imbalance and 2 piece main seals from 68 through 81 (with block casting variations through the years),

then beginning 82 there are 5.0s with 50 oz/in. imbalance crankshafts, with 2 piece main seals,

then beginning late 83 there are 5.0s with 50 oz/in imbalance with one piece main seals.

then beginning 85 the 5.0 blocks were cast and machined for roller lifters.

Claims are that about 79 or 82 the block metal changed for the better and later engines have reduced wear characteristics and lighter thin casting techniques.

Most everything changed on the 302 cube engines as the years progressed. Not every part is directly interchangeable from year to year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well thanks for the info i just bought a 90 mark 7. about the parts right know i don`t wanna tear it a part as it runs great and only leaks a little oil. iam however gonna put new gaskets on it and paint and pretty it up. i will put headers on it. they gotta be shorties. should i just get them for a mustang of the same year? p.s the motor and trans is coming out and going in my 50 ford so i don`t care if they won`t fit in the lincoln.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dash ripped out looks like drivers side was ran into guard rail. seat not bad but drivers seat sneed new motors. fully functioning air bags from factory. but lines leak and car drops over a period of time. but motor and trans are great thats why i got it. maybe rear too. have to measure

·
floppers forever
788 Posts
xntrik said:
For general information.

Bear in mind that this information does not apply to all 302 cube Ford engines, whether called "302" or 5.0.

There are 302s with heavy crankshafts 28 oz/in. imbalance and 2 piece main seals from 68 through 81 (with block casting variations through the years),

then beginning 82 there are 5.0s with 50 oz/in. imbalance crankshafts, with 2 piece main seals,

then beginning late 83 there are 5.0s with 50 oz/in imbalance with one piece main seals.

then beginning 85 the 5.0 blocks were cast and machined for roller lifters.

Claims are that about 79 or 82 the block metal changed for the better and later engines have reduced wear characteristics and lighter thin casting techniques.

Most everything changed on the 302 cube engines as the years progressed. Not every part is directly interchangeable from year to year.
don't forget the heads were made to clear the roller lifters incase of r&r on cam and lifters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.