Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we've all run into those people that think they know something and ask you the dumbest questions:spank:

So post all the stupid questions or comments you've gotten about your cars here! I know there's gonna be some awesome ones! :rolleyes::thumbup:

I'll start it off:
I pulled into the gas station with my 78 firebird and some kid asked me if i had a "cold air intake kit" I just told him yes Lol.

·
Banned
256 Posts
I'm sure we've all run into those people that think they know something and ask you the dumbest questions:spank:

So post all the stupid questions or comments you've gotten about your cars here! I know there's gonna be some awesome ones! :rolleyes::thumbup:

I'll start it off:
I pulled into the gas station with my 78 firebird and some kid asked me if i had a "cold air intake kit" I just told him yes Lol.
thats not all that dumb, as pontiacs calling card was ram air

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
I was thinking the same thing! "Ram air" is a "cold air intake".

Wrenched, I love it when they ask me that and the car is older than me! :rolleyes:

I give people a lot of slack, hell I probably sound like a dip when I make comments on a car I don't know myself and I am a car nut.

The only one that really stands out was when my brother had a 39 Ford Standard and a guy was calling it a 38. My brother explained the difference and the guy walks away saying to his friend "It's still a 38". :rolleyes:

And besides they could have learned some crap from a poorly written book or something that told them incorrect info, you can't blame them.

My son brought home a book full of 100 or so cars, I think even more, maybe 200 or more. It was about two inches thick, two to four pages dedicated to each car featured, from an AMC Rebel to Exotic European sports cars. My son read some and told me about it and what he said was wrong. It said the first Corvette was 54. I went and looked and EVERY car that I knew anything about had gross inaccuracies! So some poor guy could read this very well put together book thinking he is getting educated and really is learning all the wrong info which is worse than not learning anything at all!

So we can't give people too hard of a time.

Brian

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think the 16 year old kid driving a civic knew about ram air lol.
I have a bunch more instances though.
When i was running open headers, idling through a parking lot loud as a mother. After i parked i had i guy come up and ask: "where did you buy your cat back?" :rolleyes:
Had a kid from my school ask about my "turbo kit" since he saw a had a "boost gauge". The car is not turbo nor does it have a boost gauge, he was looking at the tach.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Since when did a K&N filter on a stick become an 'Intake'? to me, intake is short for 'intake manifold' you know that heavy lump between the cylinder heads that you can't wait to junk, and 30yrs late people are paying half a grand for one.

One of my friends had a gremlin when we were in school; another kid asked him "where did you get those cool custom badges?" Just the factory gremlin badges...

·
Banned
256 Posts
I dont think the 16 year old kid driving a civic knew about ram air lol.
I have a bunch more instances though.
When i was running open headers, idling through a parking lot loud as a mother. After i parked i had i guy come up and ask: "where did you buy your cat back?" :rolleyes:
Had a kid from my school ask about my "turbo kit" since he saw a had a "boost gauge". The car is not turbo nor does it have a boost gauge, he was looking at the tach.
ya. no 16y/o would have ever heard of ram air that was on every pontiac ad. from the grand am to the t/a ws6..
ok..sure..
as far as the turbo.. the older tachs look like a boost guage, if you look at the face set up.. and a 79-81 turbo t/a had the boost guage in the hood.. that most can't see with the cars off.

just be glad you're not driving a fiero.. I get the "don't those thinks catch fire?? "
I reply, yes they do.. I have rolled the dice for the last 28 years.. I should play the lottery........ lol

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I get several questions about my car, usually from a 'cool' 16-17 year old either trying to impress his buddies or his girl friend. Not sure that they are dumb, but just out of ignorance. The first is "How fast will it go?" My 'standard answer is "A heluva lot faster then I'll drive it." The next is "Wow, that's a neat engine - is it a 350 or a 454?". "No kid, it's well warmed over 302 FORD and in a Ford!!!!"

I try to be courteous with most folks, but sometimes it really takes patience - especially when they start with "my car", "my dad's", "my best friend", "the guy down the street has one even better". My 'standard' answer is "Gee, that's great. Where is it so I can take a look and maybe get some fresh ideas on how to improve mine."

Dave W

·
Banned
256 Posts
I get several questions about my car, usually from a 'cool' 16-17 year old either trying to impress his buddies or his girl friend. Not sure that they are dumb, but just out of ignorance. The first is "How fast will it go?" My 'standard answer is "A heluva lot faster then I'll drive it." The next is "Wow, that's a neat engine - is it a 350 or a 454?". "No kid, it's well warmed over 302 FORD and in a Ford!!!!"

I try to be courteous with most folks, but sometimes it really takes patience - especially when they start with "my car", "my dad's", "my best friend", "the guy down the street has one even better". My 'standard' answer is "Gee, that's great. Where is it so I can take a look and maybe get some fresh ideas on how to improve mine."

Dave W
warmed over 301 right ;)

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya. no 16y/o would have ever heard of ram air that was on every pontiac ad. from the grand am to the t/a ws6..
ok..sure..
as far as the turbo.. the older tachs look like a boost guage, if you look at the face set up.. and a 79-81 turbo t/a had the boost guage in the hood.. that most can't see with the cars off.
I don't think you're understanding the concept of the thread. We're not judging if the questions sound stupid or not, just simply sharing stories of encounters with less knowledgeable people who may have made a dumb but funny comment.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
At the Street Machine Mini-Nationals at Waco Texas in 1983, I overheard a comment made about my 1963 Pontiac Catalina 421 HO entered in Current Restored class. After examining my engine, a guy said..."That cannot be a 421 engine because it does not have chrome valve covers."

A the 1968 AHRA Summer Nationals at Odessa Raceway Park , my '56 Chevrolet F1-E/HR was in the pits with the hood open. It had Corvette valve covers and a by-stander asked, "How difficult was it to put a Corvette engine in a 1956 Chevy."

How do you reply to wisdom like that?

·
bentwings
2,608 Posts
Here is to sharing encounters......

I was at a car show our cruise group sponsored at an assisted living home. (old folks home). While I was standing beside my 41 Willys, an elderly lady with a very stern face slowly walked up to me using her 4 footed cane.

I didn't quite know what to make of this so I just stood there for a bit with a nice smile on my face. She looked over the car for a couple minutes then ambled up to me. She says " that's a 41 Willis isn't it, sonny ( me 70 yrs old)". I said "yes mam". She replied again very sternly, "Worst car we ever owned". Then turned and headed for the next car.

·
Faith - Respect - Trust
3,528 Posts
Seven or Eight years ago I had been driving my 70 AMX around the neighbourhood and I noticed that a bunch of kids about 14 or 15 years old would always stare and point as I drove by. One day I stopped at a gas station to fill up and two of the kids came running up to the car and looked inside. The first kid said, "I didn't know the new Challenger's where going to be two seater's. The second kid said, "don't be stupid, this is a prototype right?" as he looked at me. I spent a little time and explained.

I thought it was kind of cool that this bunch of kids must have been trying to figure out what kind of car it was and came up with a solution...wrong...but a solution never the less.

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got one just the other day as a matter of fact...

Clueless woman: "What year is that Chevelle? My dad had a '68 SS, I drove it all through high school."

Me: "Ummmm, actually its a Nova..."
Took a look at your photo's and you're nova(s) are sick! What happened to the car with 21k original miles? Was that the one you put the wheels on and painted?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.