Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.Im thinking of buying a 66 mustang and was wondering what it is worth.Its a all origanal car out of Texas.Its not had nothing done to it.Still has the origanal paint interior ect.It has 73000 miles on it.It has one spot on the door where it has started to rust by that i mean the paint has started to bubby up in a couple of spots.The only things i could find wrong was the blower switch dont work and the gas gauge is not working.It has the 289 2barrel moter.The car runs smooth i just dont know what these old mustang are worth.Its not the fast back model and i dont know what they call the regular style ones but that is what it is.
If some one could thow some numbers at me and then i would have a ball park figure of what they bring.Thanks in advance to everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Why don't you start by telling us what the asking price for the car is right now?
The fact is that the true value of any given car at any given time is what a willing seller is willing to take from a willing buyer. Once the transaction has taken place the valeu of the car is then determined by the new owner. Whether that value has any remote relationship to the open market or the prices asked in the local paper or the Old Car Value Guide doesn't change the seller's mind at all UNLESS those prices are much higher than he or she is asking for the car.
Better to buy a car YOU want for what YOU think is a good price and the buyer thinks is a big price than... well.
"Never give a sucker an even break (what most people think is the full quotation, but the rest follows) or smarten up a chump."
 

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
Joined
·
919 Posts
Your looking at a coupe. Nice car just the same, but doesn't bring the money a fastback does. Not real sure about the 66's and what options were available, but that makes a big difference too. At least it's a V-8 so it will have the V-8 suspension and brakes (5 lug wheels and proabaly an 8" rear). Even then it will probably be 4 wheel drum with a single master cylinder. Have to watch out for the cowl area too. Don't care where it's from, they were all prone to rotting out in the cowl which allows water on the floor boards which then rot from the inside out, so check under the carpet. As far as what it's worth, probably $5,000-$10,000 range depending on condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Cowl check vs value

Get a large bucket of water and dump it down the cowl vent under the windshield. Look under the dash to see if there is any water leaking into the passenger compartment. If it leaks, you just took at least $1,000 off the asking price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks eveyone.The price he is asking is 5000.I was guessing the vaulue from 5 to 10 and thinking more on the higher side,but like i said im not a real good judge on mustangs.Ive not really ever got into fords.I do think there a nice car but i just always liked the chevys.Thanks for the advice on the cowl area cause i say it is leaking there.The carped shows where it has been wet but its garade keep i know for the last 3 years.How hard of a repair is it to fix.
My wife is the one who loves these cars and it would be for her.I just like to make a more knowlegeable offer of the car.In this part of the country and I suppose anywhere its hard to find a car like this that hasnt been cut on or changed around.Any more advise on these cars is more than welcomed.Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
my 66 has a 200 inline 6 with 55,000 miles on it. the car is all original down to the air conditioning. I had this car appraised and the man told me it was worth 12000 to 15000. So if they are asking 5000 for a v8 car i would say thats a steal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
95% of the parts on the car are being reproduced and cost less than most.....Ex: go to mustangsunlimited.com.....wife wants "new" interior...$400=headliner, door panels, seat covers and carpet (ouch, dash pad is $150, forgot the brand, made in Nevada, very well made)
70% of the car drive train and suspension and brakes is available at the local parts store cheaper than most.....Ex: go to autozone.com plug in 66' stang alt=$40, starter=$40, dist=$50

70% chance it is a cowl leak, 30% chance it is a windshield seal leak or both

looks tacky but they do make a clear plastic "cowl cap" that "snaps in place" if it does start to rain or your washing the car....$30?

DO replace all the brake hardware (master, steel lines, flex lines and cylinders) before you hand the keys to the wife....it is a single cylinder master....if anything fails you lose all brakes instantly....Roughly $300 for all

any 66' 73k miles car is hard for me to believe, very rare, engine numbers are above the starter, should be C5AE or C6AE for 65-66 block....adds to the value.....(about $1,200 to buy a "C6AE" dated rebuilt 289 short block versus $600 for a 70's 302 D"X"AE)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Putting a value on a car with out looking at it is almost impossible,, all you can do is either pay for a professional appraisal, and go from there, or use your own judgement,, how bad do you want the car? how much will it cost to make it the car you really want,, sounds like the car is in decent shape,, but 99% of the time there is hidden flaws that come back to haunt you,, check out some of the mustang sites, or E/Bay to see what other people are paying,, just remember,, no 2 cars are the same,, I kinda always figure a car is worth what you can either buy it for or what you can sell it for and feel comfortable with the deal,,,, My guess sight unseen,,,, max of 5 K,, leave your self some working room ,,, I am not a mustang person so I am just guessing here........O.K? good luck :thumbup: Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
What's this Mustang's value

Yeah Main thing here too be aware of with Mustang's is that there was a 6 cyl version , and 8 cyl version.

Suspension's, Brake's, Drive train are considerably different !
In other ward's Make sure your not , buying the 6 cyl version . With a V8 somebody stuffed in it ?

That and crawl under u,m Look at Partial unibody . << Most stang's Ive looked at been slidd off the Road More than once or Twice . << Not that just cause it's been Bent up a Lil it'd be a Deal breaker ? But better have a Good Look .

Then there's the Cowl . << Allready been coverd , But Door Jamm's << Look for Plates etc that have been welded in . Mustang's and Camaro's Long Door's <, Like a Fulcrum affect . << Doesnt neccessarily make for Deal Breaker But I would definately Look ?

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
I don't want to pop anyone's bubble but appraisal prices are in outer space. I think 5 grand for the car is about right, not a steal but a fair price if it doesn't have "issues" Just being from Texas doesn't mean much. I live in east Texas and cars suffer some of the worst rust here, sneaky rust too because the humidity makes them rust from the inside out. Just a couple pinholes in the paint means there isn't any metal left behind it. Check places like the inside front lip of the hood and look real close along the drip rail, any pinholes or bubbled paint in that area and I would shy away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks everyone.Im going to go tommorow and check the numbers on the moter and check the other stuff that has been brought up.Now I know what the clear plastic cover over the cowl is for.Ive know the guy who has it for16 years now and know that he isnt lying about it.But there is always stuff that he may not know about it.So ill go and check it over again good in the places you all have mentioned.Once again Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
chevelle, your welcome

????you edited out of your original post: "wife wants one" so if that is the case does the car have PS PB A/C......those are not inexpensive to add on (easy enough to do yourself though)....is it OK with the boss?

I have tried to answer only in the broadest terms, a all original 66' for $5k is a very fair price, you will need approx $1k to complete about 15 "must do's" to make it basically reliable and safe (ex: new headlight switch ($30?) and rewire/improve the brake lights is a must do).....then drive it for a year "as is" to find out if "the boss" really does want to keep it (and to make a priority list, 70% chance the rear glass is leaking and needs sill repair, occassionally wet inside doesn't destroy a car in just a year)

the coupes are going up at approx 20% a year, she says sell after a year, put a $6k price on it
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top