Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just wondering what everyones definition as a hotrodder is?

mine is someone with a car that has power and its an american car. and they drive it hard. like such things as doing burnouts,racing,and showing off for the ladies.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Go to "Engine, Rear end, Paint etc" part of the forum and those are "true hot rod guys."

In the lounge you have a lot of pansies that have never been on one of the other forums and only participate in this one.

I think the lounge is kinda a get together for some teeny boppers that don't have a life and don't really have a clue what this forum is all about.

True rodders are conservative!
(until I got to lounge)

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Maybe, we need a definition for a "Wannbe-hot rodder".............?

Oh. Barry just said it............

Don't be too hard on them Barry. Some of them just can't afford to be real hot rodders..................the others, I won't comment on..........

·
Registered
77 Posts
yeah yeah,

do you feel superior yet?

* that. im on OSR.com, and american rides forum.

just cause i cant trouble shoot over the net, or tell you how fast your car will go, makes me one of those "wanna-be" rodders in the lounge.

like i said. * that

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Wasn't talking about you....................you have seemed pretty straight forward and honest. Right now, all thats holding you back is your age/lack of funds. your time will come.

What I am saying is that there are some real BSers around. And they aren't all young guys either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
BarryK said:
Go to "Engine, Rear end, Paint etc" part of the forum and those are "true hot rod guys."

In the lounge you have a lot of pansies that have never been on one of the other forums and only participate in this one.

I think the lounge is kinda a get together for some teeny boppers that don't have a life and don't really have a clue what this forum is all about.

True rodders are conservative!
(until I got to lounge)
Ouch.

I guess the lack of funds to do anything on my car at the moment makes me a "pansy", and the fact that I spend my down time at work on here clues you in on the fact that I don't have a life, and the fact that I don't have a clue what this forum is all about.
Wrong. Plain and simple.

Does the statement, "true rodders are conservative", is that a political stance...I know a few liberals who are hard core rodders.

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Brian Morency said:
im just wondering what everyones definition as a hotrodder is?

My definition of a Hotrodder.

When I was 12 I bought my first issue of Hot Rod magazine (October 1953). I was hooked for life. I read everything I could about cars and engines. I made “shopping lists” of pieces and parts to build “My Hotrod”. I ordered every catalog I saw advertised in Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Car Craft & Hop Up magazine. I bought a Model ‘A’ Coupe for $15.00 from the local junkyard. My parents wouldn’t let me bring “that pile of junk” home so I sold it to a buddy.

To most folks, I guess I was what is currently termed a “wanna be” Hotrodder. Not so. We all had to start someplace.

Since that time, I have had and worked on or built many “Hotrods” (see a few in my Photo Album). Hopefully, I have learned a few things about cars as well.

I am still learning and glad of that. Once again I have a Model ‘A’ Coupe, except now I have the ability to actually build it. Still dreaming of what to do with it. Still planning and making “shopping lists”. Still getting all the catalogs I can find.

A few new things have come about over time. While in the ‘50’s and 60’s I could scrounge around the junkyards for parts (can’t do that many places anymore); today I scrounge around swap meets and eBay.

Car shows for Hotrods & Customs used to be indoors (Oakland Coliseum, San Mateo fairgrounds, San Jose fairgrounds, etc.) and today we have the NSRA and Goodguys events all around the country. Man, Hotrodding has become respectable. What’s this world coming to?

So now back to your question. A “Hotrodder” is anyone between the age of 10 and 100 that is or plans to modify any vehicle to suit themselves as to performance and style. The ultimate goal has always been to increase power output.
:thumbup:

·
Banned
431 Posts
right out of the dictionary

Main Entry: hot rod
Function: noun
: an automobile rebuilt or modified for high speed and fast acceleration
-----------------

so i'm probably not considered a "hot-rodder".
i just like building things.... making stuff better, not necessarily making things faster.

i think that the only true "hot-rodders" are the guys that spend every free minute out in the garage building their car/truck from the ground up with very limited funds or even all the fancy tools.......... or those are the guys that i respect the most anyway.
anyone with the funds can buy a rod, but can you build it? i know that i can't.

(ie: Rat on a shoestring)

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Re: right out of the dictionary

akm said:
Main Entry: hot rod
Function: noun
: an automobile rebuilt or modified for high speed and fast acceleration
-----------------

so i'm probably not considered a "hot-rodder".
i just like building things.... making stuff better, not necessarily making things faster.

but can you build it? i know that i can't.

AKM that is a contradiction. You say you "like building things....making stuff better" and then you ask "can you build it? i know i can't."

You can if you try! It's all about learning. :D

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
40fordtruck_son said:
yeah yeah,

do you feel superior yet?

* that. im on OSR.com, and american rides forum.

just cause i cant trouble shoot over the net, or tell you how fast your car will go, makes me one of those "wanna-be" rodders in the lounge.

like i said. * that
You own a 1940 Ford!!! That makes you untouchable.

There is no true definition, hot rodders take on many shapes and forums.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Re: Re: right out of the dictionary

Frisco said:
AKM that is a contradiction. You say you "like building things....making stuff better" and then you ask "can you build it? i know i can't."

You can if you try! It's all about learning. :D
you got me there, but i was talking about say, going out there and just building it.
sure i could buy some plans and weld a frame together, but i don't think i would ever be able to design a frame without a whole lot of help or actually watching someone do it several times with my own two eyes.... and to tell you the truth, i wouldn't even try to take on a project like that. i'd be one of those guys that save up and buy one already fabricated :D

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
Re: Re: whats your definition of a hotrodder

Frisco said:
My definition of a Hotrodder.

When I was 12 I bought my first issue of Hot Rod magazine (October 1953). I was hooked for life. I read everything I could about cars and engines. I made “shopping lists” of pieces and parts to build “My Hotrod”. I ordered every catalog I saw advertised in Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Car Craft & Hop Up magazine. I bought a Model ‘A’ Coupe for $15.00 from the local junkyard. My parents wouldn’t let me bring “that pile of junk” home so I sold it to a buddy.

To most folks, I guess I was what is currently termed a “wanna be” Hotrodder. Not so. We all had to start someplace.

Since that time, I have had and worked on or built many “Hotrods” (see a few in my Photo Album). Hopefully, I have learned a few things about cars as well.

I am still learning and glad of that. Once again I have a Model ‘A’ Coupe, except now I have the ability to actually build it. Still dreaming of what to do with it. Still planning and making “shopping lists”. Still getting all the catalogs I can find.

A few new things have come about over time. While in the ‘50’s and 60’s I could scrounge around the junkyards for parts (can’t do that many places anymore); today I scrounge around swap meets and eBay.

Car shows for Hotrods & Customs used to be indoors (Oakland Coliseum, San Mateo fairgrounds, San Jose fairgrounds, etc.) and today we have the NSRA and Goodguys events all around the country. Man, Hotrodding has become respectable. What’s this world coming to?

So now back to your question. A “Hotrodder” is anyone between the age of 10 and 100 that is or plans to modify any vehicle to suit themselves as to performance and style. The ultimate goal has always been to increase power output.
:thumbup:
Same for me, except it's with lawnmowes in my teen (12-16) years old, and my uncle's 1977 Buick Electra 225 (4bbl 350, loaded with options (even velvet seats, those are cool), freeekin huge 2door I wanted to build up GSX style). Then I heard that my dad was giving me his '74 Javelin (he says he should've gotten the economy gears... :rolleyes: ). My uncle heard this and gave me the money back. Also I had no way to get it to my birth-dad's house (he'd store it, my dad would report me to the EPA for buying a gas guzzler and junk the car) Then some guy gave him some $$ for it, he has no info on the guy except he sounded like he wanted to fix it up. I hope so, that thing was really solid for a Michigan car, low miles too. Engine was really carboned up, though.

The Electra was $100, mowers were free. In my gallery (click on my avatar picture) there's a pic of my current and "only" mower- 1971-2-3? Wizard, (made by MTD). I'd like an old wheel horse, deere, simp, or massey next. I also have an old snapper pusher mower at my birth-dads.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I knew my statement this morning would take a dumb question
and put some excitement into it!

I want to clear up one thing about what I said, "true hot rodder are conservative"

I know better, not all are but will state this, in last 30 years of showing, judging and attending 1000's of car shows small and big.
Rod people by far are a great bunch of people!
Where else could you park a $50,000 or a $300,000 car and leave it unattended and not worry about it losing some pieces?

True rodders are conservative (majority) because of the type of people they are! Good people!

a knowledgeable one knows that last year we fought over 20+ laws where tree huggers wanted in one form or another band old cars with different law proposals.

·
here to learn
276 Posts
i feel like this is homework assignment. well to me its anyone thats willing to take a chance on an older car, take away what you don't like, or need, add what you want, make it to your own liking, do it you self, and drive it. to have a real love for cars

i give my self a B-

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hot Rodder: anyone who shows great interest in older cars. Someone who spends many hours of free time working on their old car, scrounging through junkyards and swap meets. Someone who knows their car inside out, who put blood, sweat, sacficie and tears into their ride. Someone who does it himself, not someone who pays someone else to do it. Someone who drives their rod.....

this is a hot rodder

this isnt.....

Mike

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
True hotrodders are guys who can drop $100,000 on a nice fiberglass streetrod and have a nice trailer to take it to shows, and win trophies.

Ok I feel the heat on that one....I'll show myself the exit :D

·
Rebuilt Excitment
595 Posts
This has been debated on here previously a year or so ago. As I said at that time and what I will say not, being a hot rodder is not necessarily about what you drive, I have hot rodded everything from VW bugs to vans. Being a hot rodder is an attitude in that number one is the love of vehicles (normally modified in some way). Some people have the correct attitude even though they can not turn a wrench but can afford to pay someone to turn those wrench's (i.e. someone like Jay Leno), sometimes health has made this necessary. If a person loves the sport they can be a hot rodder, it can be like a big fraternity and the wanna be's will soon be weeded out. I have been playing with cars for the last 40 years first with model cars and then with the real thing. I currently have 3 cars which I consider hot rods in one way or another:
1. 1936 Pontiac - See Avatar (350, 200R4, 3.55 nine inch, mustang II, etc, etc)
2. 1957 Chevy 210 Wagon - see gallery (327/300hp, 350 turbo, 4.11 rear, 605 conversion, vintage air, etc, etc)
3. 1968 Cougar XR7 - see Gallery (Built 302, c4 3.00 posi, etc, etc)
this plus several current and future projects (1948 Chopped Chevy Truck, 1967 Goat, Another 36 Pontiac)

I also do most of my work myself and I have been called a posser (another name for a wanna be) but I consider myself a hot rodder. So like the saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, being a hotrodder is in the mind of the person. Anybody can build a car, but it takes a real hotrodder to appreciate the work that has went into that car.

By the way what is a trailer??????????????

If one of my cars is seen on one of those one of two things has happened, it is broke where it could not be fixed on the side of the road in a short time (in which case I will more than likely be calling it names that can not be repeated on this forum) or it has been stolen, if the latter is the case call 911!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
i have a friend Bob Gallant who is 63 and he owns a 40 ford coupe hes had it for about 2 yrs before that he had a 32 5window with a 5 inch chop. he had that car for 15 yrs. before he sold it. this guy goes to every show ,cruise or swap meet there is all year round when hes not working hes in the garage cleaning, adjusting. or tinkering with something. he cant rebuild a motor or tranny and hes not a body man but he fabricates a ton of stuff. you give him what seems like an impossible problem and he'll give you a solution. no matter what car you walk by he knows what it is make and model. and in the years I've known him hes never been wrong.he travels to york pa,rhienback NY, lake George NY Burlington VT, and a ton of other local shows.no matter where he goes just about everyone knows him hes a great guy.
its impossible to describe how much he loves this hobby he lives and breathes it and he is one of the nicest guys you will ever know there is not one person in our circle of friends that wouldn't drop everything to help him because we know he would do the same for us (and he has)

bob is a true hotrodder in every sense of the word:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Rodfather, Are you the one who owns that beautiful red 62 Impala on Rodfathers.com? As far as a definition-I'm 15, make 40 dollars a week, been subscribing to hotrod since I was 11, and just used all of MY money to buy a pretty messed up 62 Impala 4 door with a 283. I have almost no money so I HAVE to do all the work on my own and save my money for the more pricey parts. So I have no money and I am working on the car every minute I get and just running out of things I can do on my own so I ask here and try to find solutions. Am I a hotrodder, hotrodder to be, or just a stupid kid wasting his time and money?????

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.