Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why I don't like Goodguys, reason 594

Many of you know I have nothing but contempt for Goodguys hot rod ripoff company but here is yet another example of how they operate.

As you may also know, Byron's Gasser Madness is a labor of love by Byron Stack. It is a great effort to keep the Gasser era alive and Byron puts huge non-profit effort in bringing his site to us. He has in the past covered the gasser brackets in Goodguys sponsored nostalgia drags but read this disclaimer from Byron for the 2006 Fuel and Gas Finals event in Bakersfield this past Fall;

This is the last Goodguys meet that you will see on Gasser Madness! I have been informed that we will no longer be eligible to receive media credentials so, after 4 years, 13 meets, and over 2500 photos, that's it.

I've enjoyed my relationship with Goodguys, and I'm sorry to see it end. So...I hope you enjoy the pics and the info, because they are likely the last you'll see on this website of any GoodGuys events.

If you want to know ANYTHING about Goodguys, it is spelled $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (for them of course). I'm sure if Byron slipped them a few $1,000 they would reconsider his press pass.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
This doesn't surprise me at all. Gary "Rip-off" Meador's organization has always been that way.

Centerline

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
That seems to be the way of any event in any sport these days. It's all about the "Bucks".........................

Also, the reason the NHL is on strike..............

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
My father in law and I went to the Goodguys show last year at the Alameda county fairgrounds. They had kind of ran off all of the small vendors and swap meet space for the "big time" new product vendors.

It's commercialization and saturation. Just like Nascar and NHRA, it's all about the money.

Willys,

You are an intelligent guy with alot of capability, why don't you organize the "Gasser Revival", hey! I like the sound of that!

Willys 36's Gasser Revival is coming to town!

I'll build my wicked 55, and we'll run em down the strip, just like Paradise road.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Goodguys might be the BIG SHOW but it's guys like Willys and the rest of us that make the hot rod world go 'round. :thumbup:

As long as we keep plugging along in local shows and drags Goodguys and other huge events will never be number one.

Larry

·
One of these days...soon
327 Posts
Hotrodders.com has over 25000 members, that is what I call power and control to influence (SCARE) big business into doing the right thing. If only 5 percent (1250) of us send Goodguys a calm collect e-mail, voicing our views on this issue, and where we will, or will not be spending our money in the future, and I think we could see a change in there policies regarding media credentials. Hey I bet they would invite Jon all expense�s paid of coarse.

406chevelle

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NAIRB said:
Willys,

You are an intelligent guy with alot of capability, why don't you organize the "Gasser Revival", hey! I like the sound of that!

Willys 36's Gasser Revival is coming to town!

I'll build my wicked 55, and we'll run em down the strip, just like Paradise road.
It's already being done! Ken & Ernest McIntyre,
the guys who run the Mid America Willys Club, have been sponsoring the Gasser Gathering for about 6 or 7 years now. The first two were in St. Lois but the last several have been at Thompson Raceway near Cleveland OH. The have a full drag racing program, vendors who want to reach the gasser types, and always a bunch of legends like Big John Mazmanian, Ohio George Montgomery,Jr. thompson, Bones Balough, Skip Shores, Barb Hamilton, and even Chuck Finders has come to a couple. Anyone who lives in the area, I highly recommend you attend. I made it to one in St. Louis and one @ Thompson. they haven't announced 2005 yet but will soon I suspect. I'm trying to get them to put one on @ Famoso here in Bakersfield. We have been drawing record crowds to nostalgia shows and the county just spent a truckload of money upgrading the track so NHRA will bring the big show back here next year and for 20 years.

Also we have the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion @ Bakersfield every fall which is a great nostalgia drags and show that puts Goodguys to shame. NHRA does the full 3-day drag program whereas Goodguys has cut their March Meet and Fuel and Gas Finals to 2 days so they can skim off the REALLY BIG crowds. I don't go to their shows anymore. I go nearly nuts hearing the Goodguys jingle played over the loudspeaker incessantly all day long.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I'll agree to this

Yeah I do not go to the goodguys shows as there are other good shows with regular guys and regular cars to see and meet..also a lot more vendors that may have just the thing you need to complete your ride..

And yeah it is about the money..

I would really enjoy some other meets to go to..

OMT

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
After the Bakersfield meet in Nov., I am not surprised. Attendance was way down, the races were poorly done, car count was off. I missed the H.R. reunion in Oct., the only reason I went to G.G's. Dan

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Car show/swap meet

There are several during the year here that one of us can bring a car and excess stuff and show and vend at the show..The booth space is cheap and you can meet regular guys have a hot dog and a good time..

Now if someone could organize one out at SIR or Bremerton..One of the places where we could do a sort of old style run whatcha brung day that would be real cool..

Goodguys is more for the anal collector guy and the guy who all he knows is to write checks..

That being said the guys from Art Morrison and Edelbrock were pretty decent..Some of the other high dollar vendors could not give you the time of day..Can think of a couple that sold the high dollar kit rods that had nothing to do with what we do here..

At some of the local small shows the guys with the really original muscle cars and some of the cars that used to be seen at the local burger stand came out..those were the good shows with friendly people and good cars..:thumbup:

OMT

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
Good Guy has always been the "Wal*Mart" of car shows. yeah there are "a lot" of cars, but take out the identical clones and consider more than half of them are fiberglass "32 roadsters" or "tri-5's" and you dont get much. I like the "old skool" "traditional" rod look, and you dont see much of that there if any. For me the Goodguys show is a 2 hour drive and not worth the parking hassle and ticket price!! (speaking of car shows, the Rod and Custom show is this weekend in San Francisco and it has 3 rooms devoted to "rat rods" this year, last year only had 2)

As for the Gasser. I have noticed that magaiznes like "old skool rodz" "Custom rodder" and "rod and custom" are starting to regularly feature gassers..I dont think you need to shed a tear for them yet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.