Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Drive It Until It Breaks"
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a new set of wheels since I'm doing the conversion on my '66 Coupe. I havent had any luck finding the wheels I want with the right backspacing. I want to go with a 17x7 in the front and 17x8 in the rear. I was told that I need 4.5 backspacing up front and 4.75 in the back. I havent been able to find any wheels that I like with that backspacing.

So I found some American Racing Rodder Series Wheels on Speedway.

The 17x7 has a 4" backspace, 0mm offset.
The 17x8 has a 4.5" backspace, 0mm offset.

Would it be ok to run 1/2 spacers to get the offset I need or would it be better to just keep looking for wheels. The other challenge is the axles I ordered from Quick Performance come with 1/2 wheel studs and every spacer I seem to find are for 5/8 studs.

·
Old(s) Fart
5,800 Posts
Backspacing depends on rim width. Saying that you "need 4.5" backspacing" is meaningless without knowing the width. I have no idea what your "66 coupe" is, but just about every RWD car from the 1960s wants wheels with just about zero offset. Both wheels you listed have zero offset. I suspect you don't want or need a spacer with either.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The width of the front wheel would be 7" and the width of the rear would be 8". Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Adding a spacer doesn’t increase your backspacing, it reduces it.
I learned a long time ago to do my own measurements. Built my own measuring tools.
easy now as they make handier tools like this one.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After all my research and talking with different companies on the phone, I've found that the American Racing Torque Thrust is about the only 17x8 wheel that you can find with a 4.75 backspacing. The second glitch I ran into is that the chrome finished TT is on national backorder. Looks like I'm going to either have to go with a 17x8 wheel with 4.5 backspacing and run a smaller tire, or run 17x7's with 4.00 backspacing all the way around.

·
Registered
548 Posts
"Backspacing", (sigh), does not depend on rim width. Backspacing is backspacing, the dimension between mounting face and the back side of the rim. It matters when something like a tie rod end or whatever else has to be cleared on the inside, no matter the total rim width.

Offset, where the mounting face distance is from a point midway between the inner and outer rim lips, does create a different back space number as it and rim width changes, all interdependent numbers.

---------------

If axles you are looking at come with 1/2" studs but spacers are for 5/8"....huh? 1/2" are kinda the standard for cars (GM often 7/16s), anything above is trucks or serious race cars. Not sure what is meant there.

I'm going w/ RWENUTS on this one, do your own measurements. That can mean buying a gauge or better-yet taking whatever setup you have on hand, developing and writing down the measurements for it, then bolting it on and seeing where you have more (or less) clearance, and adjusting your "need" or allowable dimensions accordingly. Common wisdom as you find it is worth something, but only worth so much.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I used a similar tool like in this link.
A length of angle iron, ready rod and some nuts was all I needed.
Likely cost me 5 bucks.
I did have the use of a wheel rite a few years ago though.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
What is your wheel mounting surface distance on the front and what is it on the rear?

Now how wide do you want the outside of the tires to be on the front and rear?

Bolt down your disc/drums down tight(no wheels with the thing on stands) then use paint sticks/rulers held against the surface to get a measurment easier.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I got a break yesterday and found what I was looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts