Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 40 desoto that i am wanting to leave original as far as drivetrain and chassis however id like to put some custom wheels on it. I dont currently have wheel studs instead they look like a regular bolt. i am wondering what would be involved in converting this over to conventional wheel studs to accommodate aftermarket wheels. Thank You.

John

·
Registered
721 Posts
If the bolts have a taper on them the same as a lug nut, You could just use them. If not or you want to use chrome lug nuts, It will be a little work and will cost around $100 labor plus parts ( the studs). Find a hot rod shop that does chassi work in your area, you'll have to take the axels and spindles to them and they will drill out the holes and press studs into them. Do Not try this at home, if you don't get them in streight, the wheels won't fit and youv'e made paper weights out of your alxes. Good Luck.:thumbup:

·
Registered
392 Posts
There are threaded studs I have seen on beetlebugs. They are threaded on both ends and tighten with an allen head and a little locktite, and then take regular nuts. I have not heard of or seen any problems with them. Seems like I would check them occasionally though.

There are also wheel adapters/spacers which can change the bolt pattern if desired, and might work with your original lugs to attach to the car, and then have whatever you want to mount the wheel.

adapter mfg example

Pony's suggestion is probably the most reliable and safest, but these others could work well too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts