Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to find anything on this question. Can wheelie bars be attached to the 4 link suspension instead of welding on brackets and still work correctly?
? I've included a pic of my rear end for reference.

·
More for Less Racer
20,941 Posts
Yes, you can. The 4-link kit from S&W Racecars that I've put in my Vega and put in a buddy's tubbed El Camino has wheelie bar mounting holes built right into the backside of the 4-link housing plates.
A lot of 4-link and ladder bar set ups use one bracket to do two jobs....4-link and adjustable height shock mount together, or 4-link and wheelie bar together, or even 4-link, wheelie bar, and anti-roll bar all together on the same housing plates.

That's a rather strange looking 4-link you've got there....is it a converted 4-bar set-up rather than a drag race 4-link?? Or just a vintage set-up??
Links look rather long, and bottom link at the housing seems really low.

is this the one you just wheelie with and bent the front??....because the instant center on the rear set-up looks really whacked, lower bar running uphill it is going to want to send the front end to the moon.
I can't see the top bar angle, but appears instant center must be somewhere near 18" off the ground...should be down near 8"-10".

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is the one that stood straight up and bent the front end. I'll look into the instant center when I get it back from the frame/axle shop.
Not sure of the correct term for the suspension system. It has the four bars on the bottom but the top bar has two connections on top of the axle and it makes a kind of U with the bottom of the U connected to the frame. 3 link??

·
More for Less Racer
20,941 Posts
Yep, that would be a 3 link. From what I read on Billy Shope's suspsenion site they adjust very similar to a 4-link but you have no ability to preload one side different than the other.

That lower bar going uphill to the front is what i find really off the mark....that uphill set-up would be for something will quite low power, to get it to plant the tire...with a lot of power is hammers the tire and makes the front end climb for the sky...the kind of setting you only see high power cars use at the Byron Wheelstanding Championships./"Mayhem fest".LOL

Looks like you've got room on the rear bracket to add some holes and move the back of the bottom bar up...but looks like you'd have to add some new frame brackets to get the front down....I know my 4-link stuff the basic set up is bottom bar somewhere within just a few degrees up or down from parallel to the chassis main rails(rocker sill)

You ever read through some of that info on the Shope suspension site?? He was an engineer at Chrysler and one of the original Ramchargers team.
I haven't checked lately to see if his site is still up.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read his site a couple of times but it has been a few years ago. If it's still up I read it again. Think I'll see about converting it to PDF so I'll have on hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.