Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, It's time to buy new tires and as I recall the last time I purchased tires the shop told me I had a bent wheel (a little wobble on the balancer) but not to worry to much about it that it would be fine. I recently hit a fresh pothole pretty hard and the truck has a vibration at higher speeds now.
So I took a dial indicator and checked the runout on all four wheels. Nothing too alarming but I found the one the shop was referring to.
The discrepancies are .007, .008, .014, and .023. Nothing that can be seen with the naked eye.
I also checked for out of round but all 4 are reasonably perfect circles.
SO my question is how far out does a wheel have to be before considering repair or replacement?
I cannot seem to find data on this anywhere.

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
Not sure if .023 is too much, I don't think it is....but I bet when you hit that pothole, you knocked a wheel weight off. I would try rebalancing.

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
I worked right out of high school for a company that made circle track wheels, anything from steel 8" wide street stock wheels to the 14-15"+ wide aluminum monsters the Sprint cars used....

Numbers you've given are fine, pretty good actually.....some of the stock steel wheels from the 1970"S and 80's OEM's were often out 2 or 3 times as much as your worst.

We used .035" as the absolute max we would ship, and tried to stay below .025" for the most part.....but these were also high speed racing wheels so they have to be good.
Appears the OEM's have gotten a lot better now that everything has a cast aluminum wheel on it

Largest Sprinter wheel I ever assembled back then (1985) was a 15" x 22".....that's 22" wide! Boss didn't want to do it, our widest standard offering was 18" wide, but a customer insisted he wanted to test one out. Guy never ordered another that wide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts