Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man...All I was doing was, setting the timing and going through the gears and then I felt the brake peddle get weak.Then the Brake light comes on.:sweat: I get out and check the obvious ,found nothing.Then I look under the car and see brake fluid leaking from the rear section.I took a photo and it looks like its from a hose.What can cause this...?????:eek:

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Corrosion

That what the picture looks like..looks like you are up for the replacement of the brake lines on this car..I have seen this on older cars several times..

If one has given up the other connectiona are soon to follow so we do them all when we do the replacement..

Sorry...

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blahhh:drunk: It is on a 84 cutlass and i'm pissed but, thankful it happened in my driveway and not the parkway.:nono: But anyway---How hard is this task?(replacing brake lines) I do have to pull the rear out anyway cause I am replacing the gears --so this will be the best time I persume.:confused:

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Mostly

Just some sweat..:sweat: Just follow the pattern of the originals and you may have to do some minor rerouting of the lines..i usually get mine an inch or so longer and take up the slack by bending in a curve or two..

having it up on jackstands when you are doing the rear is a good time to do this..allows more room to work under there..

This is one of those tasks we would not really want to do but have to do as sometimes the factory has run those lines in some real hard to get at spaces..

My local parts house can make up the lines for me..hope you have one there that can do it for you..

Also keep track of which port goes to where so you get the right connections in the system..

Hope this helps

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks OneMoreTime. I have a local shop that can get me the lengths. I was just getting it tuned so I can go for a cruise. Guess funny things happen at certain times for a reason.:rolleyes: Looks like I'll be busy for a couple .....:drunk: :boxing:

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Yes go with inline tube, I've had lines blow out on my 85 Caprice, two separate times, and one brake booster failure. I got a complete kit from inline tube, it fit great. Thinking you can use the old lines a template is kind of a bad idea, laying on your back in the garage/driveway trying to remove these rusty lines means you end up cutting and bending them to get them out, ruining your template. Also do yourself a favor and replace that rubber hose, it's only a $15 piece, and replace your brake booster, better safe than sorry.

Mike

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. Thanks Onemore ,68nova and Ghetto. I'll be givin them a call. Sucks now that the sun be going down earlier now. Time to bust out the drop light.:embarrass I'll get back to ya's:mwink:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
Yes go with inline tube, I've had lines blow out on my 85 Caprice, two separate times, and one brake booster failure. I got a complete kit from inline tube, it fit great. Thinking you can use the old lines a template is kind of a bad idea, laying on your back in the garage/driveway trying to remove these rusty lines means you end up cutting and bending them to get them out, ruining your template.

Mike
I hear you on this, I'm fixing to go with an inline tube kit and replacing all the lines on my truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts