Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a project one panel at a time.

It looks like with epoxy primer, the primer should go onto the bare metal before any filler.

I would then scuff the epoxy with 80 grit and apply filler.

However, I plan to skim the enter panel and block sand.

Should I still put down the epoxy first?
Seems like scuffing it may take too much off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
However, I plan to skim the enter panel and block sand.
epoxy is great for something that is going to sit awhile and dont want flash rusting. Since you are going to skim the entire panel, do that on bare metal, work it, then primer.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Epoxy primer bonds to the steel better than polyester filler does , it also provides more corrosion protection than filler ,thats why epoxy first , then filler

·
Registered
155 Posts
Epoxy first and if you are skim coating the whole panel 80 grit is I don't know about all the other epoxies but if you are using Southern Polyurethanes you can apply the filler within a week without sanding.

·
The Penny Pincher
1,948 Posts
whether you put the epoxy on first or after, if done right, either one will outlast the life of the car.
It really doesn't matter in the long run.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Epoxy seals the metal surface against infiltration from moisture to guard against corrosion. If you break that surface contact (sanding) and expose the metal, you lost your protection and have to recoat. Filler will stick to epoxy, if unsure if it will, coat a satin coat panel with epoxy, then apply filler, wait till cured and try to strip it off with a putty knife, chisel, or sanding, or a heat gun. You will then know if it will protect the metal and if the filler will adhere to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts