Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 ford tempo 2.4L EFI that is having problems starting. I have also flooded the car while trying to start it and the plugs are covered with gas. I can't get the car to start.

Scanner is showing faulty ETC Sensor (Electronic Temperature control). I only see one that is in the thermostat housing, and it has a two wire plug going into it. I went to my local auto parts store and they are selling me something totally different. They sold me a sensor that looks like the VDO temp sensor I have in my hotrod.

Can anyone help? Would the sensor keep the car from starting?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Coolant Temperature Sensor

On your 1993 Ford Tempo, the Coolant Temperature Sensor is:
Under hood, driver side, rear engine area, mounted top of engine block
Source: http://www.autozone.com/home.htm

Click choose a vehicle on the upper left to get yourself started. AutoZone's site has some pretty good resources if you don't feel like buying a Hayne's/Chiltons manual.

This guy was having the exact same problem as you, so hopefully the solution works out for you!

"Rough" or "No Start" when cold.

I own a 94 ford tempo, 2.3 L. Automatic. This car runs great until it sets for a while, or first thing in the morning when the engine gets cold. Burned up three starters trying to figure this thing out. I finally figured out that the computer didn't know the engine temp when it was cold. So it flooded the engine most of the time and wouldn't start. Or it would start real rough. The colder it got outside, the worse it got.
I changed the EC Temp sensor on the thermostat housing, $26, Cleared the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few hours, and though it started rough the first time, I let it idle for 30 minutes to allow the computer to get the new values for the temp sensor. After that it started great even when cold...
Source: http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-tempo/4798-rough-no-start-when-cold.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.