Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Kia Sephia, and the fuel pump has went out on it, and i was just wondering if anyone knows where it is located, and how i can change it thanks!

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
I have a 1998 Kia Sephia, and the fuel pump has went out on it
Haha...The squirrels ran off for the winter!!!! :D J/K. I couldn'tt resist that one.

I don't know about your particular Kia, but on some you can fold down the rear seat, lift tha carpet and access it that way. Check it HERE Or check this on Kia questions and answersHERE Hopefully some of these will help.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Are you sure its the fuel pump? Have you checked for spark?

Don't mean to question your judgement, just never hurts to run your ideas by some of these guys before you tear into something-

K

·
machinist & fabricator
676 Posts
arnt those korean cars warranteed til 250k?
take it to the dealer, chances are they need to have a korean crawl into the tank!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

umm, we are pretty sure that it is the fuel pump, as when we put starting fluid in it, it did start, but just shut right off after the fluid was gone, but i will look and try to see if there is a place to where i can get to it from the inside, someone else had told me that too, but if you guys have anymore ideas, please just let me know THANK YOU

·
Drive it Like u Stole it!
163 Posts
hmm... a few things come to mind:

1) popped fuel pump fuse
2) clogged fuel filter
3) crushed fuel lines under car
4) injectors not opening (kia uses mitsubishi ecus that have electrolytic caps that leak, leading to injector failure - google search it)

you can see if the fuel pump actually failed by removing the line that connects to the fuel rail and then putting the key in the "on" position. i wouldnt recommend letting it do this very long since fuel will most likely get everywhere....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jordan2011, were you able to find where the fuel pump is located in 1998 kia sephia? I have a similar problem...

thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kia

Hi there, the fuel pump is located under the rear seat cushion. The fuel pump wires are black (ground) and pink/black or pink (power) depending on where you get to it at. These cars had a problem with ground for the ecm. The ecm ground should be center of the dash. With a faulty ground they can do all sorts of weird stuff, sometimes they lose the fuel pump, sometimes fp and spark, injector pulse. Fuel pump seems to be pretty common. There have been cases just like yours where they run on alternative fuel, seems fairly common that the fuel pump relay is disabled with bad ecm ground. Check for power at pump, if no power, look at your grounds and also the fp relay. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts